Fairy Tail Farms English Orpingtons

Pics
Still no eggs from anyone other than the BBS pen, random pullets, Seramas and the ducks. I may set a batch of Serama eggs tonight. I'm desperately hoping the geese hold out until I get them some shelters built after pay day. I'm not in the mood to deal with flooded nests, or hand turning goose eggs for a month. lol

So it rained all weekend, but I did set a few duck eggs just to check fertility from the Khaki Campbells, some Serama eggs, and...drum roll please... *pause for effect*

Some F1 Blue Silver-laced eggs. I found the nestbox the clever girl had been using and she'd tucked four eggs in there. I think I set five total. I'm sure they won't be either of the Silver-laced roosters' chicks, but I can at least test fertility.

I also grabbed some Chocolate Orpington pictures which I will post from the phone in a bit.

So here are the Chocy Orpingtons.

92A692F2-6B48-4352-8C80-18CF2A45DF59.jpeg
A80E418F-DC56-4367-8F50-2990F62AA656.jpeg
1DDFE3A1-3A53-475C-A580-2CB0533975C7.jpeg

I suddenly have the urge to make a baby Yoda meme with them. Lol

What’s the expression? Happier than a pig in mud? Well what about a duck?

9EC0708F-0220-4A85-A469-211157E3B751.jpeg
20CD26D8-CF7E-49B7-96BB-1EA28FB090A2.jpeg

We got a ton of rain this weekend, and more on the way...

CB32DF14-7423-4998-853A-5257D0465AB1.jpeg

Update after the Polar Vortex/SNOVID Apocalypse Texas and the other southern states just experienced...

It could have been much worse at my house. I managed to keep the pipes from bursting so we had water up until the city shut it off due to breaks in water mains. So I was bucketing water out to everyone multiple times a day. The lowest it got here was -9 degrees Fahrenheit.

I lost some juvenile Orpingtons despite them being under heat lamps. I also lost Derek, my only White Orpington male. I moved all the girls back into the Silver-laced pen in the hopes that Hollywood does carry the Recessive White gene and I can produce some more Whites. It's going to set me back a whole year, and I have such a big waitlist on them. I have about 14 white eggs I'm going to set tonight after work. All the chicken eggs hatched in the incubator, including an egg that was a week late. The duck eggs didn't fare as well and I hatched one duckling. It is a complete pest, at the moment. It has some more siblings due at the end of the week and after candling I think six eggs are still good. I also lost some more Seramas, so I'm down to two trios. All the younger birds died even with heat on them and the adults. I also lost one of my older Silver-laced hens. I'm hoping that I don't lose anymore.

We lost water for four days so that was a huge pain in the rear. Power was inconsistent for about 24 hours due to rolling black outs. I know I should be grateful I didn't lose tons of birds like some of my friends who lost power and as a result lost all their chicks and eggs. But it is really a setback and frustrates me. It was so nice getting to water them with a hose yesterday. I'm preemptively medicating everyone due to the amount of wild birds that were swarming the fresh water and feed I was giving my birds. After that, they are all going to get treated for lice and mites, including the entire barn.

I'll post some pretty pictures of the snow in a bit.

Back
Top Bottom