Fairy Tail Farms English Orpingtons

Pics
So bored at work today I did some doodling. This is the master plan. It is not to scale, nor is it totally accurate in terms of placement. But it'll do for planning.

I was looking for some concept art for what I'm envisioning. So these would be what 7-16 (larger) and 18-23 (smaller) would be based on. Essentially the back portion of the run will be partially enclosed so that the birds, nests, and feed are protected from the elements. The front of the run, I think, will stay uncovered. But it's possible, depending on how wet it stays after rain, that I end up having to put those clear plastic panels up there so they can get the light but not the wet. The breeding yards will be separated by welded wire fencing. The outside wire will be hardware cloth to keep out snakes. Preferably black vinyl coated, but we shall see when the time comes to shell out the money. All metal will (probably) be corrugated aluminum. The shelters will be separated by metal and netting now that I finally have a source for quality netting. I'm unsure if I want the outside bottom metal or not. Perhaps on the sides, but I'm undecided on the front.
1681328844304.png
1681328862194.png
1681328877528.png

1681328892172.png
1681328911885.png

I do intend on some plantings around the fronts. Maybe brackets with hanging baskets and some dense planting the birds won't shred when they are out free-ranging in the afternoon/evenings.

Between #6 wich already exists and 7-16 that will need building, I think I'll have a bricked path so that you can get behind the barn or that set of Orpington pens easily if needed. I might have a trellis put there to frame it and make it look more attractive.

17 and 24 are large cages that were built for breeding parrots outdoors that sit on either side of 18-23. Those pens are already built but need some serious help. A co-worker is going to give me a ton of sheet metal so I can frame them out and replace the tarp situation with metal. Hopefully with metal on it, it will stay straight. The tarps currently act like a wind sail, so when the ground is wet and it's windy, it's caused a large portion of the poles to lean. Once I can dismantle the whole thing I can straighten the poles, keep them straight with framed lumber, and then complete the back and roof with the sheet metal.

So 25-29 should actually be turned in the same direction the smaller breeding pens are. But I wasn't going to wast another piece of paper. So between those two areas there is a large Bradford Pear tree, the propane tank, and a large open space. My goal is to turn the area under the pear tree into a tea garden of sorts. I'd like to put down flag stone and find a wrought-iron table and chairs to put on the stone. There will be plantings around that area, and possibly another trellis to the side of either of those cages (17 and 24). I might incorporate a water feature if there's electric out there.
39336d4443dd4e6297b8a4486fb49eae3ec6d913.gif
8338d19f-d915-424c-ac77-83393150009a_text.gif

I grabbed some concept art for that too.

1681329702655.png
1681329692509.png

1681329720548.png
1681329730653.png

1681329749881.png
1681329755744.png
1681329764691.png
1681329771519.png

I just want it to be a really "extra" experience for guests to the farm. They could sit out there in the shade with some lemonade or iced tea and something to eat while they admire the birds or make a selection about what they are looking for.

A smaller version of this will be serve as a shelter for the geese that end up in pens 1 and 2 as if I close those fences they will not have access to the barn.

1681329907084.png

Here we can revisit a more recent aerial shot of the property.

1681329993656.png

It might be nice to put a gazebo on that circular concrete slab. I'm debating putting in a low fence, maybe four feet from the barn to the garage to give the area a more "quaint" feel. It would allow for some landscaping, walkways, and plantings. And then when I let any of the birds out, they'd be turned out into that central area and not have access to the woods.

Very tentative idea here:
1681330629006.png

Green arrows would be the three trellis I mentioned. Lilac line is the possible fence? The blue line is a ditch that fills with rain water, and the red box could be a small footbridge over it.

I'm mostly dreaming at this point. I don't have the finanical means to make any of this happen right now, but it is nice to have a vision of a dream.

That is why it is concept art. I would obviously plant things that are appropriately hardy. The point of the images was to show an idea, not a replica.
You could make it all edible, tons of edible flowers and exotic looking vining plants do well out here. Some are really fun, like flowers that turn your lemonade purple or gourds that grow three feet long.

So bored at work today I did some doodling. This is the master plan. It is not to scale, nor is it totally accurate in terms of placement. But it'll do for planning.

I was looking for some concept art for what I'm envisioning. So these would be what 7-16 (larger) and 18-23 (smaller) would be based on. Essentially the back portion of the run will be partially enclosed so that the birds, nests, and feed are protected from the elements. The front of the run, I think, will stay uncovered. But it's possible, depending on how wet it stays after rain, that I end up having to put those clear plastic panels up there so they can get the light but not the wet. The breeding yards will be separated by welded wire fencing. The outside wire will be hardware cloth to keep out snakes. Preferably black vinyl coated, but we shall see when the time comes to shell out the money. All metal will (probably) be corrugated aluminum. The shelters will be separated by metal and netting now that I finally have a source for quality netting. I'm unsure if I want the outside bottom metal or not. Perhaps on the sides, but I'm undecided on the front.
View attachment 3465005View attachment 3465006View attachment 3465007
View attachment 3465008View attachment 3465009
I do intend on some plantings around the fronts. Maybe brackets with hanging baskets and some dense planting the birds won't shred when they are out free-ranging in the afternoon/evenings.

Between #6 wich already exists and 7-16 that will need building, I think I'll have a bricked path so that you can get behind the barn or that set of Orpington pens easily if needed. I might have a trellis put there to frame it and make it look more attractive.

17 and 24 are large cages that were built for breeding parrots outdoors that sit on either side of 18-23. Those pens are already built but need some serious help. A co-worker is going to give me a ton of sheet metal so I can frame them out and replace the tarp situation with metal. Hopefully with metal on it, it will stay straight. The tarps currently act like a wind sail, so when the ground is wet and it's windy, it's caused a large portion of the poles to lean. Once I can dismantle the whole thing I can straighten the poles, keep them straight with framed lumber, and then complete the back and roof with the sheet metal.

So 25-29 should actually be turned in the same direction the smaller breeding pens are. But I wasn't going to wast another piece of paper. So between those two areas there is a large Bradford Pear tree, the propane tank, and a large open space. My goal is to turn the area under the pear tree into a tea garden of sorts. I'd like to put down flag stone and find a wrought-iron table and chairs to put on the stone. There will be plantings around that area, and possibly another trellis to the side of either of those cages (17 and 24). I might incorporate a water feature if there's electric out there.

View attachment 3465023View attachment 3465022
View attachment 3465024View attachment 3465025
View attachment 3465026View attachment 3465027View attachment 3465028View attachment 3465029

I just want it to be a really "extra" experience for guests to the farm. They could sit out there in the shade with some lemonade or iced tea and something to eat while they admire the birds or make a selection about what they are looking for.

A smaller version of this will be serve as a shelter for the geese that end up in pens 1 and 2 as if I close those fences they will not have access to the barn.

View attachment 3465035

View attachment 3465038

It might be nice to put a gazebo on that circular concrete slab. I'm debating putting in a low fence, maybe four feet from the barn to the garage to give the area a more "quaint" feel. It would allow for some landscaping, walkways, and plantings. And then when I let any of the birds out, they'd be turned out into that central area and not have access to the woods.

View attachment 3465059
Green arrows would be the three trellis I mentioned. Lilac line is the possible fence? The blue line is a ditch that fills with rain water, and the red box could be a small footbridge over it.

I'm mostly dreaming at this point. I don't have the finanical means to make any of this happen right now, but it is nice to have a vision of a dream.
Heck, that's why I'm drawing up property plans for a house and plot I don't even have a whisper of owning for years.

View attachment 3465005View attachment 3465006View attachment 3465007
View attachment 3465008View attachment 3465009

View attachment 3465023View attachment 3465022
View attachment 3465024View attachment 3465025
View attachment 3465026View attachment 3465027View attachment 3465028View attachment 3465029

View attachment 3465035

View attachment 3465038

View attachment 3465059

What a lovely plan you have!! I have designed my dream scenario several times! Might have to consider some of your ideas too-some great ideas! 😍

Back
Top Bottom