Father is a black langshan mom?

Donduck

In the Brooder
Jun 19, 2021
Baby chickes are all yellow with a couple black spots down the spine. I'm wondering if it could be a orphing mix or leg horn or some one I haven't considered
1000012380.jpg

Baby chickes are all yellow with a couple black spots down the spine. I'm wondering if it could be a orphing mix or leg horn or some one I haven't consideredView attachment 3775047
The mother might be a White Leghorn. It is common to get chicks like that from crosses with White Leghorn.

Do you know what color eggs they hatched from? That is often a good clue about what breed the mother might be (Leghorns lay white eggs, Orpingtons lay brown eggs.)

Genetically, I think I know what is going on:
--the Black Langshan father gives the genes to make chicks entirely black. Those genes are dominant over most other genes that could be inherited from the mother.
--the mother gave a gene called Dominant White that turns black into white but misses a few bits. That is why the chicks are yellow with black spots.

White Leghorns have the Dominant White gene. Buff chickens (Orpingtons or otherwise) might have the Dominant White gene or they might not. It varies. In general, look for a white hen, or a hen with a pattern of white and red/gold. Some all-white hens have Dominant White and some do not (there are some other genes that can make a chicken all white but those other genes behave differently when crossed with a black rooster.)

Back
Top Bottom