Faverolles Thread

The main thing i look for at that age is good toe placement and good beard and muffs... Do not look at the color it changes way to much after that to be able to tell anything... Also i would look at size and general health and vigor... make sure they have a strait breast bone... also make sure u get enough males to start a breeding program... if it was me i would get 3 males and 7 females...
Oh one more question. So at 10 weeks is there anything in particular I should be able to look for to make the best choice from the 20 candidates? I'd love to end up with at least one that's going to grow up show able.

Or is 10 weeks just too young to tell.

Take a peek at the combs too, to make sure there are no side sprigs or other defects. Make sure there are no extra toenails or partial toes.

Greetings all!

I have an empty coop that I am tired of looking at. It makes me sad. I would like to get 2-3 LF salmon favs. Anybody near me that would hatch them for me or can point me in a good direction to buy some fuzzy butts?

I live in South Jersey (last exit off the TPK) and am willing to drive. Or another option would be in Virginia May 10th weekend. I will be in Leesburg for a greyhound event.If anybody is from that area - I could easily pick them up Mother's Day weekend. What a greyt Mother's day gift to me that would be!

Thanks so much!
Julie

Thanks for the tips on selection!! Will share photos when we get them :)

One last, dumb I'm sure, question. At ten weeks will they still be happy to sleep in box with shavings or do you think ill need to sort a small perch in there out before I pick them up?
Hadn't planned on them being this old yet

Thanks for the tips on selection!! Will share photos when we get them :)

One last, dumb I'm sure, question. At ten weeks will they still be happy to sleep in box with shavings or do you think ill need to sort a small perch in there out before I pick them up?
Hadn't planned on them being this old yet
I would guess that when you pick them up you can ask what they are used to as well as what kind of feed, space, is it cold there????? supplemental anything????

So, just had a great first hatch of SF. I have a question though. Two have some dark smutty markings, is that normal?
1F004C38-75BA-4E44-9CFA-976BE3694C10-544-000000B481E308BA.jpg

A921F564-9D3E-4220-9FED-65A1D1ECD2B6-544-000000B4885AEDEA.jpg
HI, When i went to the feed store this afternoon they had Salmon Favs. chicks in and every one of them looked like your chicks here, maybe a bit more dark patterning, not as fluffy.....I didn't ask who the hatchery was.... When i first got Favs. about 6-7 years ago???? they came from Cackle and Ideal....they were all creamy yellow....All the chicks i have from both hatchery and breeder stock are creamy yellow. I never saw the pretty appy spotted Favs. that you see lots of nowadays. eliz

FYI, i picked up * The Poultry Magazine, Vol. 3, issue 12-March/April, 2013. There is an article from the Editor, Terry Beebe on the Faverolle. page 48-49..The mag. is printed in the US but it mentions that this is a basic look at the standard as represented in the British Poultry Standards Book.

It speaks of the various colors available, Black, Laced Blue, Buff, Cuckoo, Ermine,Salmon, White.

thepoultrymagazine.com

Last edited:
I kn
I would guess that when you pick them up you can ask what they are used to as well as what kind of feed, space, is it cold there????? supplemental anything????

I know but is a 6 1/2 hr round trip so if I need before saturday to find time to build some sort of roost for them instead of being okay to just let them use the nesting box which is all that's in that pen I'd rather try and do it during the week than at the end of that drive. :)

Maybe I'm over thinking it in my excitement though :) sure they can survive in a nesting box at night for a week.

Oh and no not too bad, we haven't had to put a heater on yet for ourselves at night.

Last edited:
HI, When i went to the feed store this afternoon they had Salmon Favs. chicks in and every one of them looked like your chicks here, maybe a bit more dark patterning, not as fluffy.....I didn't ask who the hatchery was.... When i first got Favs. about 6-7 years ago???? they came from Cackle and Ideal....they were all creamy yellow....All the chicks i have from both hatchery and breeder stock are creamy yellow. I never saw the pretty appy spotted Favs. that you see lots of nowadays. eliz
I have gotton a few like this as well I am currently growing one out she looks to be a bit smutty but overall looks Great

Back
Top Bottom