Favorite Pressure Cooker Recipes and Suggestions Please :)

PurpleChicken

Rest in Peace 1970-2018
12 Years
Apr 6, 2007
Iceland
Got my first pressure cooker last week and love it. I'm amazed what it does and it's just a $30 stove top model.

I've done some net searches but I'd like to hear from BYC members about their p-cooker favorites.

I have one myself but I'm intimidated by it
hmm.png
But I use a pressure canner, something is wrong with me.

Henry'schickens :

What was the first thing you cooked in it??

So far I've cooked some chicken and stock, a pot of cabbage soup, and the best pot roast I've ever had. It seems like whatever I throw in the thing comes out well.​

Last weekend I made what I call "stewed beef." This is basically cubes of beef that are pressured cooked in liquid until the beef is very tender, then after the pressure has been released in the cooker, you can thicken the gravy and serve the beef over mashed potatoes, rice, or noodles.

Stewed Beef (which is not the same thing as beef stew)

1 1/2 to 2 lbs. cubed stewing beef or chuck roast, cut into 1 1/2 to 2-inch cubes
vegetable oil, a couple of TB
1 onion, chopped
salt and fresh ground pepper
2 t. to 3 t. Worcestershire sauce
water or beef broth or a combination of both, 1 1/2 to 2 cups

brown beef cubes in oil until well seared on all sides, add chopped onion and cook a few minutes to brown the onion -- season with salt, pepper, and the Worcestershire sauce

add the water and beef broth

heat the beef and liquid until boiling, put on the lid making sure the pan is sealed correctly, put on the pressure gauge if your cooker uses one, bring up the pressure over high heat until the gauge starts to rock -- lower the heat to a low simmer so that the gauge just slowly rocks and set the timer for 15 minutes for smaller cubes or about 18 minutes for larger cubes of beef

when the time is up, cut off the heat under the pot and let the pressure decrease naturally until all the pressure is out of the pot, then open carefully

thicken the gravy with a water and flour slurry, turn on the heat under the pot again and with the lid off, cook the mixture on med. high until the gravy is thick

Another favorite recipe:

Pressure Cooker Ribs and Sauerkraut

3 1/2 lbs. country-style pork ribs, cut up
(1 1/2 t. caraway seed) -- optional
5-6 medium potatoes, peeled and halved
1/4 cup brown sugar --packed
1/4 cup chopped onion
garlic clove or two minced
5-6 carrots, peeled and cut into 2'inch pieces
1 bag sauerkraut, drained and liquid reserved
1 t. salt
fresh ground pepper
1/2 to 1 t. dried thyme, crumbled
apple juice or apple cider or water

Stir together the (caraway), brown sugar, onion, and sauerkraut. In a 6 qt. pressure cooker, layer the sections of the ribs, sauerkraut mixture, then place potatoes and carrots on top. Season with the salt, pepper, and thyme. Measure the reserved sauerkraut liquid and add water or juice or cider to make 1 cup. Pour into the cooker. Cover and cook as directed by the manufacturer for about 20 minutes at full pressure. Turn heat off and let pressure decrease naturally. Serves 4-6.

chicken gizzards! pressure cook then dredge in flour and fry up in bacon grease serve with corn bread and COLD milk . . . doesn't get more down home than that!

PC, I haven't used mine in a couple years, but I can't bring myself to get rid of it either.

The main thing I made, over and over, was Rouladen. If you google it there are a million recipes out there. It is thinly sliced beef rolled up with onions, bacon and dill pickles inside- don't laugh, the pickles are GREAT! A bit labor intensive because of the rolling, but oh sooooo good!

Back
Top Bottom