Fayoumi with diarrhea lethargy, possible bloating?

pressly

Hatching
8 Years
Oct 9, 2011
I'm a newby chicken mother with 3 hens, all 1.5 years old. My egyptian fayoumi is sick. She moulted about a month ago and never resumed laying. Feathers grew back in and she looked 'bigger' than she was before. Today, however, I noticed she stopped talking (normally very squalky) and has diarrhea with lots of yellowy poop on her bummy. Also had greenish runny poop in the nest (on one of the eggs I put in the nest as a suggested by someone else).

Normally, they are fed table scraps and have pellets available to them all the time. They free range about once per week. Weather has been great except yesterday it snowed 4" and they stayed inside the coop all day. She is the dominant hen.

She looked funny to me today-- somewhat hunchbacked so I went to pick her up today and she fell over running from me and just sat there. Her tail is typically very high with a proud stature, but today her head was saggy and her whole underbody seemed to be dragging underneath her with low tail.

Since I'm new to chickens, I had a friend come over to look at her and she said she seemed bloated?
I brought her inside tonight and made her an oatmeal, yoghurt mash and she ate it all up readily. Went to farm store and bought "quik chik" (vitamins and electrolytes for poultry) and also tetracycline hydrochloride powder but have not given her either. I've never wormed them.

Other birds have also stopped laying (about a month now for all) one I think is moulting and the other has not yet-- both of them appear normal with no signs of mites or other parasites.

I'm not sure what to do. I also need some guidance on the tetracycline powder (if you all recommend I dose her) because the ratio instructions are very confusing. I also don't know how to administer it. I bought a syringe to give it orally if you suggest that?

More info from the vet today:
I took her in and she has a fever of 106. Poop is green, vet says severely emaciated. He felt inside her and said he felt some mass on her abdomen. I'm researching and coming up with lymphoid leukosis but it seems this is very rare but all the symptoms are there (even her age, she's a year and a half).

She came from mcmurray's and was vaccinated for Mareks. The other think I'm seeing is starvation-- but she's the dominant bird and always eats first. She doesn't like the pellets we've been feeding this summer, but I assumed the scraps were enough (about every day this summer). He gave me an antibiotic and said that if she's not better in 5 days I need to put her down.
What else could it be?

Did you check her crop? Just be sure something isn't stuck in there. That will make them not eat and get lethargic.
Do the electrolytes for sure.

I don't know if you should do the antibiotics. I don't want to advise you either way because I don't want to tell you the wrong thing.
But, IF you do the antibiotics... here is what I have:

I have the Duramycin-10 it's tetracyline hydrochloride 10g powder.

You can mix 3/4 teaspoon per quart of water. I found that info on here earlier today. I'm giving it to my chickens right now. I put it in the waterer. My one hen was too weak to drink so I dropped it on her beak and let her drink it that way.

My chickens don't like certain feeds or pellets either but I've learned that they become spoiled on the treats and if you let them get hungry enough, they will eat the feed. They need the balanced nutrition in the pellets. I would stop the table scraps for now.

If the vet said do the antibiotics then I would do them. Also do the electrolytes for sure.

Just wanted to post an update--- Brought Roadrunner inside for about a week and gave my girl lots of extra oatmeal and the electrolytes and she recovered in about a week and is back to being her typical (naughty) self.

She's still not laying eggs yet but I think that's a different story.. Nobody is laying right now.

Thanks for all the help on here... I do appreciate all the feedback!

Back
Top Bottom