Feathered Feet or not?

Feathered feet or bare feet

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dec 14, 2019
Mainly im just curious to see what people think about this topic. I know it’s a controversial topic but to me I think feathered feet are adorable and helpful when it gets cold. I’m also wondering if they actually have a reason or if they are just a random mutation and if they aren’t I’m looking for breed suggestions with feathered feet. Thanks

I say just go with what you like, and not be concerned with others controversies over it. I like both clean and feathered feet.

Some of breeds I have with feathered feet are French Marans, Silkie, Brahma, D'uccle. I love all of them so far and would happily recommend any of them.

Screenshot_20200103-171623_Google.jpg

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6171735/

While feathered feet are cute they can pose a couple issues.

The feathers can prevent the birds from scratching as much as clean legged birds do. That can lead to overgrown nails.

The mud can cling to the feathers being matted in a rock hard mud brick.

The feathers can hide leg mites infestations and make those infestations harder to treat.

The feathers can break leading to heavy bleeding....especially during a molt.

There are ingrown feather issues that can occur.

When it is wet and cold the feathers can become waterlogged and freeze....leading to frostbite.

All that said I keep several feather footed birds in my flocks.

Those things should not stop someone from owning feather footed breeds.
Just things to be aware of and prepared for.

Feathered feet really are adorable! :love But yes, they get matted and muddy, feathers break off, feet get wetter and colder during snowy winters, etc...All this said, with good care, proper sanitation and paying attention to their needs, keeping birds with feathered feet are a joy!

:D:D image.jpg Rooster with feathered feet he’s a Copper Marans
I have a bunch of Buff Orpington X Copper Marans and and they mostly have feathered feet. I was gonna start a project with the two breeds, just for fun, to get big,fluffy chickens with feathered feet and to be a nice,pretty,dual purpose bird. I have two hens left over from the first cross and 3 from the first cross back to the roo.(my only Buff orpington hen was taken by an owl :(
Any thoughts on this?

Back
Top Bottom