February Hatch-A-Long

Pics
Yeah, that definitely stinks the fertility was down, but I also have noticed my boy wasn't breeding near as much in December and early January than he had been in fall and before that.
That’s true, if it’s snowy and cold and flocks are just couped up inside coops I’m guessing males won’t be as apt to breed in confinement like that instead of free range. Sorry if that made no sense I’m like sleep typing this oops lol.

I likely will have about 2 dozen shipped eggs(more if few to no breaks)I set Saturday afternoon as they should be delivered Friday according to USPS. I will check for breaks and then let them rest 24 hours before putting in the incubator and then not turn for at least 4 days.
Anyone with good experience hatching shipped eggs know if 4 days is enough or if I should wait the first 7 before starting to turn? They will be in cartons and with raised ends to make them lean and then change sides to be turned.

My silkie egg's will be coming on Friday too, so I'll be setting them on Saturday with you. I set them without turning for 3 day's. I think that should be good enough.

Edit: Good thing that I didn't already set another batch of my flocks naked neck egg's, because I want the silkies to be the only one's in the brooder this time to observe them better.

Last edited:
My silkie egg's will be coming on Friday too, so I'll be setting them on Saturday with you. I set them without turning for 3 day's. I think that should be good enough.

Edit: Good thing that I didn't already set another batch of my flocks naked neck egg's, because I want the silkies to be the only one's in the brooder this time to observe them better.
Yay! we will be on the same hatch schedule. I think bantams generally hatch a day or two early. I dunno, I've never tried to hatch bantam chickens. Good luck with the Silkies. They are such cute puffs, but just too small for my liking. I like the big breeds :)

Yay! we will be on the same hatch schedule. I think bantams generally hatch a day or two early. I dunno, I've never tried to hatch bantam chickens. Good luck with the Silkies. They are such cute puffs, but just too small for my liking. I like the big breeds :)

My naked necks one's are big one's. This is the first time that I will be trying to hatch a batch of the little one's, so this will be different for me for sure. I heard that these silkies will need a higher humidity during lock-down.

Yeah, som breeds definitely want higher humidity during the lockdown and incubating in general. I swing by the Silkie area and ask what they run for your best stats and shot. Good luck!

Have fun hatching silkies! Out of 8 silkie eggs only 1 of mine hatched about a month ago, cat knocked over incubator all eggs but like 2 were destroyed and it was like a couple days before lockdown I believe. Silkie eggs are so much smaller than regular eggs and I was like shocked at how a chick could hatch outta one of those small eggs, one they hatch and all dry they are so small in your hand it’s crazy lol. Definitely had fun observing growth.

Yeah, bantams are just so small it's crazy. Most of them are 1/4 the weight of my main breeds or less. Several of them are just adorable or beautiful though, for sure. If I were ever to have a "house chicken" it would probably be a silkie or bantam Brahma or Cochin. (Can you tell I like the fluff? lol)

Yeah, bantams are just so small it's crazy. Most of them are 1/4 the weight of my main breeds or less. Several of them are just adorable or beautiful though, for sure. If I were ever to have a "house chicken" it would probably be a silkie or bantam Brahma or Cochin. (Can you tell I like the fluff? lol)
The fluffy ones are the bestt, their little feathered are absolutely adorable. I have a Brahma and she’s absolutely huge she kinda scares me lmao. You should try hatching out some silkie chicks, so small they’re basically a cat just throw a chicken diaper on it :lol:

Have fun hatching silkies! Out of 8 silkie eggs only 1 of mine hatched about a month ago, cat knocked over incubator all eggs but like 2 were destroyed and it was like a couple days before lockdown I believe. Silkie eggs are so much smaller than regular eggs and I was like shocked at how a chick could hatch outta one of those small eggs, one they hatch and all dry they are so small in your hand it’s crazy lol. Definitely had fun observing growth.

I don't have a cat or kid's to fool with my incubator or brooder. I keep those in a spare bedroom. I am sure that these silkies being so small is going to be different for me. I already have my naked neck/breese mixed flock that are laying good with large egg's, and my rooster is doing his job well.

Back
Top Bottom