February Hatch-A-Long

I wish there were more people like you in the postal system. As I remember the packaged eggs I've received in the mail, It's obvious that there still are workers like my brother and aunt. Thankfully my relatives no longer work as postal employees.

Thankfully I have gotten eggs through the mail that came in great shape and many of those eggs hatched. So there are workers that believe as you and do what's necessary for eggs to arrive safely.
I know what you mean, my EE eggs were completely scrambled, while the little silkie/sizzzle eggs were in pretty good shape (considering they were lost in the system for a couple of days). It's hit and miss anymore, it's sad really. Seems like no one has any pride in the job they do as a public service like back in the day.

My little Silkie/Sizzle eggs have been in the incubator, upright in a carton since around 9pm last night (after resting and coming to room temp for seven hours). Just two or three had air cells that wiggled a little, maybe one rolling. I put them in so quick because they were lost for a couple of days and I was afraid they were getting older. I was going to start turning them tonight, now I am second guessing myself. I am not touching the EEs yet, they were terrible!

Last edited:
Last spring I was angry over a badly damaged box of shipped egg. Quite a few were broke and the contents was all over the other eggs. When candled almost every egg was scrambled. A few had broken air cells. It had been a big order involving dozens of eggs. In the end my wife ended up with four or five chicks.

I wanted to see how much an egg could take. My wife and I packaged eggs in different ways and got rough. It take a lot to scramble or even break an air cell. A simple test is just to take an egg and lightly shake it then candle. Repeat this shaking a bit harder each time. It takes a hard shake before candling shows a broken air cell. The postal system could deliver eggs in good shape if the postal employees wanted to.

My little Silkie/Sizzle eggs have been in the incubator, upright in a carton since around 9pm last night (after resting and coming to room temp for seven hours). Just two or three had air cells that wiggled a little, maybe one rolling. I put them in so quick because they were lost for a couple of days and I was afraid they were getting older. I was going to start turning them tonight, now I am second guessing myself. I am not touching the EEs yet, the

Good luck. I hope you are surprised when hatching day comes.

Last spring I was angry over a badly damaged box of shipped egg. Quite a few were broke and the contents was all over the other eggs. When candled almost every egg was scrambled. A few had broken air cells. It had been a big order involving dozens of eggs. In the end my wife ended up with four or five chicks.

I wanted to see how much an egg could take. My wife and I packaged eggs in different ways and got rough. It take a lot to scramble or even break an air cell. A simple test is just to take an egg and lightly shake it then candle. Repeat this shaking a bit harder each time. It takes a hard shake before candling shows a broken air cell. The postal system could deliver eggs in good shape if the postal employees wanted to.
I totally agree, but they do need to be marked "eggs" or something of that nature, not just "fragile". Sooo many packages go through marked Fragile, that it is almost ignored.

I’ve kicked around ordering some Silvers from them.
i’ve been very impressed with the. so far. my first hatch was a rare mix. I still have my pearl and ssc in the 10. I had ordered the tuxedo mix and then won another rare mix in their auction site on FB. Jenna was very helpful in identifying my chick colors from the first hatch and zach was personally involved with making sure that these eggs were received safely. The prices are very good, the quality of the eggs is remarkable, and their service is exceptional!

i’ve been very impressed with the. so far. my first hatch was a rare mix. I still have my pearl and ssc in the 10. I had ordered the tuxedo mix and then won another rare mix in their auction site on FB. Jenna was very helpful in identifying my chick colors from the first hatch and zach was personally involved with making sure that these eggs were received safely. The prices are very good, the quality of the eggs is remarkable, and their service is exceptional!

That is great to hear! Yep, the SSC’s are what I’m kicking around.

I have some in the bator. Due to hatch Feb 2. Easter/olive Eggers, BCM, and a few White leghorn x BCM. In a still air Styrofoam incubator. All pullets' eggs. but they had started laying from July,2018 to Oct.2018. So hopefully long enough to have good eggs for hatching. The Marans didn't start laying until DEC. 4 & 6. so they haven't laid as long, but know they have been breeding. Eggs are to dark brown to candle, but candled others on day 8 and could see only 1 quitter. 34 eggs set. I collected eggs for 5 days and set them.
I am not fretting over them all the time like I did last year. I'll get what I get and then set some more for March hatch. I don't know how the BCM X white leghorns will do, but they should be pretty and maybe good layers next fall. :D Good luck everyone.

Back
Top Bottom