February Hatch-A-Long

Is February too early for a hatch?

• Yeah, I'm going to wait until spring!

Votes: 12 8.1%
  • My chickens haven't started laying yet!

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • No way! Hatching year-round is the way to go!

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • The earlier the better!

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I'm going to summon spring with some early chicks!

Votes: 22 14.9%
  • Already have eggs in the incubator!

Votes: 84 56.8%

• Total voters
Pics
Update for my February chicks...

From Feb 9th hatch, Bronze (brown with subtle pattern) and Gizmo (brown and white)
20210312_bronze.jpg 20210312_gizmo.jpg

From Feb 22nd/23rd hatch, Rocky (brown), Cookie (white with multiple dark spots), and Cream (white with distinct head spot and couple faint spots)
20210312_febtrio.jpg

I should have reported earlier because I forgot the hatch rate! I think it was around 60%. I'm not too pleased, but I think the incubator temp was low and I went a little odd on the humidity.

@LadiesAndJane the little silkie didn't make it. I helped her out of the egg, I think she was just positioned wrong. I think she would have made it, but I think she was dehydrated and I didn't get water to her soon enough. (Woah, that was a lot of "I think"s!) But, lesson learned; there is a hurry and I shouldn't put off helping a chick in need.

I should have reported earlier because I forgot the hatch rate! I think it was around 60%. I'm not too pleased, but I think the incubator temp was low and I went a little odd on the humidity.

@LadiesAndJane the little silkie didn't make it. I helped her out of the egg, I think she was just positioned wrong. I think she would have made it, but I think she was dehydrated and I didn't get water to her soon enough. (Woah, that was a lot of "I think"s!) But, lesson learned; there is a hurry and I shouldn't put off helping a chick in need.
Sorry you lost the little one. 😞 Sometimes no matter what you do, they still do not make it. I lost the only one that hatched out of 25 in March, also an assist. So hard sometimes. The one I hatched out of 10 for February, hatched on 2/27, is doing great though.

Sorry you lost the little one. 😞 Sometimes no matter what you do, they still do not make it. I lost the only one that hatched out of 25 in March, also an assist. So hard sometimes. The one I hatched out of 10 for February, hatched on 2/27, is doing great though.
None out of twenty-five stinks :(
But I'm glad your Feb chick made it!

This here is a 5 day old cuckoo dutch bantam that I just wiped off its pasty butt
View attachment 2530545
Nearly one year ago I posted my little dutch cuckoo male. Time flies. He is all grown up now and is my main breeding cockerel.

He has now officially become a dad and this is his new offspring, one of them is a week older than the rest

IMG_6952.JPG

Feb was a bad idea for hatching....this is what I got
20211223_141602.jpg

That right here is of a hen that has yet to even start laying!! Shes almost a year old! I need to know what color the egg is to see if Mr Cheeks is staying or going as his brother a true ameraucana aswell but only had one blue egg gene!

Feb was a bad idea for hatching....this is what I got View attachment 2950033
That right here is of a hen that has yet to even start laying!! Shes almost a year old! I need to know what color the egg is to see if Mr Cheeks is staying or going as his brother a true ameraucana aswell but only had one blue egg gene!
I have a couple girls like this.
Light greenish-blue eggs.

Back
Top Bottom