February Hatch-A-Long

Is February too early for a hatch?

• Yeah, I'm going to wait until spring!

Votes: 12 8.1%
  • My chickens haven't started laying yet!

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • No way! Hatching year-round is the way to go!

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • The earlier the better!

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I'm going to summon spring with some early chicks!

Votes: 22 14.9%
  • Already have eggs in the incubator!

Votes: 84 56.8%

• Total voters
Pics
Were these hatched from your eggs or shipped. I have 2 theories, others may have ideas too. 1. Breeding birds may be closely related 2. The eggs didn't get turned before incubating and the yolk stuck to one side so the embryo early on didn't develop correctly.
I agree, likely genetic issues involved in the beak deformity.
Malpositioned chicks can sometimes just be random. I had two in my last hatch from my own eggs, one I was able to assist when it was pipping on the wrong end and the other one ended up pipping through a vein and dying in the shell like yours. You see more of these kinds of problems with shipped eggs in general.
I love your brooder cam by the way, reminds me of the set ups they have at some zoos! Super cute chicks😊

The humidity spiked, because the egg was oozing. Had this egg been candled to check for fertilization and development before this happened? Yes a temperature spike could absolutely start to cook the eggs, or cause them to explode. What incubator are you using? Some incubators have a temperature alarm on them.

The humidity spiked, because the egg was oozing. Had this egg been candled to check for fertilization and development before this happened? Yes a temperature spike could absolutely start to cook the eggs, or cause them to explode. What incubator are you using? Some incubators have a temperature alarm on them.
I candled on day 7 everything was good, with veins and good movement, it was in a Chinese no name incubator but it wouldn't turn so I moved it to the NR360 on day 7, and yesterday was day 12.Yes humidity spiked due to that egg after removing it humidity went back down

Just the oozing one, I am going to put a thermometer in to monitor temp and humidity. Usually the NR360 has been rock solid on the temp on all of the hatches so far.
Yea it's just like a brinsea mini, they usually hold temperature perfectly. I remember my first hatch about ten years ago, I had thermometers in every corner of my little giant incubator lol. Good luck, and keep us posted!

Last night when I checked 1 of my incubators, I noticed the humidity had spiked. I found that 1 of the eggs was oozing yoke, just kinda bubbly so I candled it and there were no cracks. Could this be due temp spike?
Likely a rotten egg. Bacteria could have infiltrated the shell. Good thing you caught it, I’ve heard horror stories of them exploding in the incubator and ruining everything!

Yea it's just like a brinsea mini, they usually hold temperature perfectly. I remember my first hatch about ten years ago, I had thermometers in every corner of my little giant incubator lol. Good luck, and keep us posted!
After thinking about it, I moved 8 eggs on day7. I will candle the eggs that I moved as well, they are very large American Breese eggs. Keeping my fingers crossed 🤞. I will let you know later how everything goes. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom