February Hatch-A-Long

Is February too early for a hatch?

• Yeah, I'm going to wait until spring!

Votes: 12 8.1%
  • My chickens haven't started laying yet!

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • No way! Hatching year-round is the way to go!

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • The earlier the better!

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I'm going to summon spring with some early chicks!

Votes: 22 14.9%
  • Already have eggs in the incubator!

Votes: 84 56.8%

• Total voters
Pics
Thanks for this! I've had to rescue some chicks that had rolled over before. I've used the toilet paper roll method before, with some success. I cant remember why I stopped doing it though. 🤔
Glad i did use the method- I have 8 pippers today, and it could be a VERY lively day in there tomorrow!! 6 Breeds among them...could i b so lucky to get 6 different pullets? The Basque and Mosaic have been vigorous so far, but Bobo - a CCL is fighting hard to be the breakout story!

Still waiting for the aging Young Adults in The House to get their heaps of Xmas boxes off the Brooder. In my head its tossed out on the lawn already. They did get the fake Xmas tree down last week. Maybe the snow globes put away by Easter? Chickies and i need space!

Attachments

• jumpyChick.gif
    jumpyChick.gif
    584 bytes · Views: 1
We have moved our camera to the brooder for more action. There are three babies in the incubator still, two are drying off after a bath and the third is on the half shell pipped but got no further because of it's size so I opened the end of the egg up and am letting it absorb before I help it any further. I opened the other 4 eggs one was a huge chick that never turned. One malposition that pipped through the vein. There was a huge bruise color on the egg shell. Two quit day 10-15 I didn't catch them cause I didn't candle day 18,. Last one was born with a malformed beak, Had a normal bottom beak the top one looked almost wrinkled and the tip of it was missing. What would cause that for those who have ben incubating longer than me? This is my first deformity and want to make sure that I don't end up with more. Could it be the temp outside when they were laid? Brooder cam can be found here:
omg - my new favorite Channel! SO sweet! Thank you.

I set some eggs on Jan 31st so they're on day 5 and should hatch around Feb 20th. In my incubator I have 6 of my own serama eggs and 13 (was 15 but just chucked 2 no development/early quitters) bantam assortment eggs I got from Meyer. AND my serama pullet happened to go broody the day I set so I gave her back 4 of her eggs and she added two more on top.. so she has 6 as well!

I had such an awful experience hatching shipped eggs (from a different place) the first time, so I ordered more than I thought I would need but the Meyer eggs actually came in good condition so I'm slightly worried more will hatch than I have room for, but I'm sure there are people around looking for chicks if that happens.

I don't really know what breeds the assortment eggs are (besides EE and D'uccle), so I'm excited to see what pops out!
please document egg colors and any markings, as that can help us identify your babies!

I candled it on day 7 had veining(spider) and movement, last night was day 10 when it started oozing.

dang thanks for the info. I’m going into my first hatch now, on day 8. And I’ve got a couple eggs that must have thick shells. I can see veins and movement but it’s a struggle. And I’ve always had pretty good eyesight. I’m candling every other day though, give or take.
This ones more veins and movements in real life. Limited input on the photo.

3E5E937C-7FCD-4AC5-81C7-CF331680B95A.jpeg

Day 14 of the oldest eggs and all six look good. Day 13, day 10 and day 7 on the others.
Just pulled this day 7 blood ring in one of the polish eggs that snuck in to the hatch.
Clearest example of a blood ring that I’ve seen in a long time. It looked like this already at day four but I hung onto it for a few more days.
In comparison the “sister” Polish egg looks great.😊
First set of shipped silkie eggs expected today per the post office. Hoping the air cells held up to the long trip as the breeder out right said she didn’t expect a very good hatch rate. Not a positive thinker I guess🤣

Day 7 blood ring
BA367C27-E6C9-4400-A502-3AC70871949D.jpeg

Day 7 normal
9AF482FA-6A88-4982-855C-B38309F73CE5.jpeg

Last edited:
dang thanks for the info. I’m going into my first hatch now, on day 8. And I’ve got a couple eggs that must have thick shells. I can see veins and movement but it’s a struggle. And I’ve always had pretty good eyesight. I’m candling every other day though, give or take.
This ones more veins and movements in real life. Limited input on the photo.

View attachment 2518355
You can try lighting from both ends. Takes a steady hand and also a helper. I do this with dark brown or green eggs mostly. You can use your candler or LED flash light on one end and phone flashlight on the other. 😊

Back
Top Bottom