February Hatch-A-Long

Is February too early for a hatch?

• Yeah, I'm going to wait until spring!

Votes: 12 8.1%
  • My chickens haven't started laying yet!

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • No way! Hatching year-round is the way to go!

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • The earlier the better!

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I'm going to summon spring with some early chicks!

Votes: 22 14.9%
  • Already have eggs in the incubator!

Votes: 84 56.8%

• Total voters
Pics
It's day 11! All seven eggs are looking great! I cant wait for these surprise guys to hatch!

RmbcSqho-260991578.jpeg
Y75jPw0r-260985773.jpeg
20210211_185421.jpg
20210211_190549.jpg

3 of 7 in lockdown have internally pipped! Expecting hatch sometime tomorrow. Only one of my silkies ended up with fertile eggs. She is white and so is the roo, so likely all will be white. He is likely gold based white and the hen is silver based white. Will be interesting to see what pops out! Hoping for a random partridge or black, which can happen with recessive white silkies. 😊
Any chance you took. A photo? Now I’m searching for what an internal pip looks like in the candling world.

Hey guys can y'all help me with some advice? What is the best way to incubate eggs that have a little saddled air cell? I didn't notice one of my eggs has it until I candled yesterday (day 12) and I saw the air cell. Here's a couple pics. Part of the air cell is saddled to the side.

Attachments

• 123_1.jpg
    123_1.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 123_1(2).jpg
    123_1(2).jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 3
Hey guys can y'all help me with some advice? What is the best way to incubate eggs that have a little saddled air cell? I didn't notice one of my eggs has it until I candled yesterday (day 12) and I saw the air cell. Here's a couple pics. Part of the air cell is saddled to the side.
I prefer to candle with the aircell up and the light source over it until lockdown.
Once the chick has moved into position for hatching, I candle from the side as to not disturb the chick.
Saddled eggs can hatch normally on their sides if the air cell itself is stable (not jiggling at all). The "saddle" is the membrane pulled away from the side.
Personally, I hatch these eggs upright in cartons.😊

I prefer to candle with the aircell up and the light source over it until lockdown.
Once the chick has moved into position for hatching, I candle from the side as to not disturb the chick.
Saddled eggs can hatch normally on their sides if the air cell itself is stable (not jiggling at all). The "saddle" is the membrane pulled away from the side.
Personally, I hatch these eggs upright in cartons.😊
Thanks for your reply. I have 4 eggs incubating upright because of detached air-cells and I must have missed this one and it has been incubating on its side. Do you think I should go ahead and put it upright too?

Back
Top Bottom