February Hatch-A-Long

Is February too early for a hatch?

• Yeah, I'm going to wait until spring!

Votes: 12 8.1%
  • My chickens haven't started laying yet!

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • No way! Hatching year-round is the way to go!

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • The earlier the better!

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I'm going to summon spring with some early chicks!

Votes: 22 14.9%
  • Already have eggs in the incubator!

Votes: 84 56.8%

• Total voters
Pics
Keep the pics of chicks coming as they hatch. I won't be able to set mine on friday like I wanted, instead I'm going to wait until another shipment arrives on saturday and set them late that evening. I might be getting some on monday too... I hate that they might have to wait in the post office from sunday to monday.

Eggs are on the way, hopefully tomorrow...
tracking.PNG

It is fun to track it through the towns...

View attachment 2505943

This means I get it in the mail in the morning! I will set 12 hrs after. Thought about waiting 24 but reading the brinsa page, they say 8-12.
Yay!
When I have shipped eggs, I set based on air cell size. If the air cells are big, then eggs are likely older and should be set sooner, after 6-8 hours. If air cells are smaller, indicating fresher eggs, I let them sit 24 hours before setting. 12 hours sounds like a good way to split the difference. There is no science behind what I do, though!😊

Ugh, totally jinxed myself by talking up my Hovabator on how great it is at keeping temp. I’m almost certain my wafer is going. It started running a bit too warm today and isn’t responding to adjustments. It’s running at 101 with fan kit.

I just ran to TSC and they had one 360 left, so I scooped it up. I’ll order a new wafer for my Hovabator, and keep as a secondary.

Back
Top Bottom