February Hatch-A-Long

Is February too early for a hatch?

• Yeah, I'm going to wait until spring!

Votes: 12 8.1%
  • My chickens haven't started laying yet!

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • No way! Hatching year-round is the way to go!

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • The earlier the better!

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I'm going to summon spring with some early chicks!

Votes: 22 14.9%
  • Already have eggs in the incubator!

Votes: 84 56.8%

• Total voters
Pics
I was thinking along the same lines as what @LadiesAndJane suggested.

Lowes sells a small rubber mat that is designed to go over a step. I don’t know the size of your incubator, but one or two of those could make cleanup the next time through almost a breeze.

13 out of 14 hatched! The last egg was fully developed, and I could see an attempt of internal pip, but just couldn’t.

I can’t say enough good things about the 360! But, cleaning it was a bit tricky. Any tips or tricks for cleaning? Thanks! Happy hatching to everyone!

The babies are all so cute! Fingers crossed mine hatch on Thursday or Friday, 6 on lockdown. I have a question. I'm using a cheap Chinese incubator from Amazon and have had a terrible time with humidity. I took some advice I found on here and put a tupperware dish in it with a sponge. The container is pretty full and I'm maintaining around 60%. I'm worried the chicks could drown. Does anyone have any suggestions for how I could (quickly) switch it up? It's day 18 today.

forgot to add the pic

Attachments

• 20210208_171037.jpg
    20210208_171037.jpg
    516.4 KB · Views: 12
The babies are all so cute! Fingers crossed mine hatch on Thursday or Friday, 6 on lockdown. I have a question. I'm using a cheap Chinese incubator from Amazon and have had a terrible time with humidity. I took some advice I found on here and put a tupperware dish in it with a sponge. The container is pretty full and I'm maintaining around 60%. I'm worried the chicks could drown. Does anyone have any suggestions for how I could (quickly) switch it up? It's day 18 today.
Surface area is your friend with humidity. So a sponge sticking up out of the water would/should help.

Finally managed to get two photos of the same egg, a white one, that give drastically different impressions when observing. Just in case someone else see’s my older posts and wanders what I was talking about....

Attachments

• 0C646BC1-A4E8-4567-B21A-EE650E03ED04.jpeg
    0C646BC1-A4E8-4567-B21A-EE650E03ED04.jpeg
    185.9 KB · Views: 11
  • A5FEB55B-71E8-4730-88C7-724F4B2C98C2.jpeg
    A5FEB55B-71E8-4730-88C7-724F4B2C98C2.jpeg
    213.7 KB · Views: 10
Hi!
Have you been running 60% the whole time? I had one of those incubators when I first started out some years ago. They are really hard to maintain humidity. How do your eggs look when you candle them? Do you know if your hygometer is accurate? 60% is high for incubation, fine for lockdown. There are different schools of thought and preferences for humidity percentage during incubation. You do not need to add anymore water at this point. 😊

I was thinking along the same lines as what @LadiesAndJane suggested.

Lowes sells a small rubber mat that is designed to go over a step. I don’t know the size of your incubator, but one or two of those could make cleanup the next time through almost a breeze.
I use the shelf liners that have an open weave. Depending on your incubator, anything solid would inhibit the humidity and affect the temperature. I toss them out after each use. You can buy them in a roll on line and cut to fit. 😊

I use the shelf liners that have an open weave. Depending on your incubator, anything solid would inhibit the humidity and affect the temperature. I toss them out after each use. You can buy them in a roll on line and cut to fit. 😊

My incubator is a cooler, so it’s solid bottomed anyways. Shouldn’t play on humidity and only minimal to warm the mat/shelf liner.
Thanks. Good ideas.

Back
Top Bottom