February Hatch-A-Long

Is February too early for a hatch?

• Yeah, I'm going to wait until spring!

Votes: 12 8.1%
  • My chickens haven't started laying yet!

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • No way! Hatching year-round is the way to go!

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • The earlier the better!

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I'm going to summon spring with some early chicks!

Votes: 22 14.9%
  • Already have eggs in the incubator!

Votes: 84 56.8%

• Total voters
Pics
This here is a 5 day old cuckoo dutch bantam that I just wiped off its pasty butt
IMG_6071.JPG

My lone egg has pipped, day 20 :wee

The two day 13 eggs are going good, and I definitely see veins in three of the four day 6 eggs now, including the porous one that I didn't think would do anything!! Based on the progress of the one hatching now, I'd say the day 6 eggs are going to be early March babies after all. :p

I am in lockdown with my Swedish Flower/Buff Orpington eggs, due to hatch on Tuesday. I have 14 left; didn't see a lot of movement at my day 18 candle but they all had veining so we'll see what happens. I suspect my incubator has some cold spots, maybe next time I will try and move the eggs around more. Only a few more days to wait!
Please, please, please post pics of your babes when they arrive. I have a 100% SFH flock but am interested in what your mixes might look like. Best of luck on your hatch!

I placed 20 of my Swedish Flower Hen eggs in the incubator in 2 batches at the end of last month and they are all still squirming! I’ve got 13 eggs on day 16 and 7 more on day 14. I had my humidity up to 48% after what I saw happened to my shipped eggs last year (😱), but now the air sacs are on the small side.

I’m reducing RH to 35% and I’ve decided to delay increasing the humidity during lockdown to see if I can get rid of this extra water weight and follow lockdown rules for the later batch instead of the earlier batch.
Should I stop turning all the eggs on their original lockdown date, or just avoid the high humidity until I hear the first internal pip? I’m thinking I should still stop turning them on the appropriate date.

I placed 20 of my Swedish Flower Hen eggs in the incubator in 2 batches at the end of last month and they are all still squirming! I’ve got 13 eggs on day 16 and 7 more on day 14. I had my humidity up to 48% after what I saw happened to my shipped eggs last year (😱), but now the air sacs are on the small side.

I’m reducing RH to 35% and I’ve decided to delay increasing the humidity during lockdown to see if I can get rid of this extra water weight and follow lockdown rules for the later batch instead of the earlier batch.
Should I stop turning all the eggs on their original lockdown date, or just avoid the high humidity until I hear the first internal pip? I’m thinking I should still stop turning them on the appropriate date.
I dry incubate due to high ambient humidity. I stop turning my eggs around day 17 or 18 regardless whether they are officially in lockdown or not. If I am concerned at all about air cells being too small, I will let them go as long as possible. I normally don’t add water for lockdown until the 19th or when I see them pip internally. I candle often during lockdown without any issues.😊

I stop turning my eggs around day 17 or 18 regardless whether they are officially in lockdown or not. If I am concerned at all about air cells being too small, I will let them go as long as possible. I normally don’t add water for lockdown until the 19th or when I see them pip internally. I candle often during lockdown without any issues.😊
This is pretty much exactly the game plan I have laid out. I normally do add water a bit earlier, but don’t want to drown them this time around! Thank you for your advice! 🤗

Back
Top Bottom