February Hatch-A-Long

Is February too early for a hatch?

• Yeah, I'm going to wait until spring!

Votes: 12 8.1%
  • My chickens haven't started laying yet!

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • No way! Hatching year-round is the way to go!

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • The earlier the better!

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I'm going to summon spring with some early chicks!

Votes: 22 14.9%
  • Already have eggs in the incubator!

Votes: 84 56.8%

• Total voters
Pics
They just confirmed they will not be shipping chicks out this week, not sure about eggs. It is for the best, I really do not NEED more chickens and best for the littles not to travel under these circumstances.
Gives me room to keep a few more of the silkies I am currently hatching instead! 🥰
That's true, I don't want the chicks to freeze to death. It's suppose to warm up next weekend here in north Mississippi, so maybe then

Bummer. I think this ones a goner. Any input from those more experienced? It’s the only white egg I have that’s easy to see into. Should be 17/18 days.
Positive note I’ve got a pretty good view of many of the others which all look good, (not much like the attached photo) and some newly installed lights I can turn on to check everyone out. This is lockdown so should be just watching and building a brooder in the mean time. Which is about par for this course. I barely got the temperature controls stabilized before throwing the eggs inside LOL. Humidity is pretty stabile 48-52%

Attachments

• 02B9D195-3BD2-4A4F-BBE4-863CFC3A2C6C.jpeg
    02B9D195-3BD2-4A4F-BBE4-863CFC3A2C6C.jpeg
    310.6 KB · Views: 7
  • F177EB04-A9DC-4ADD-A239-163AA91A5A8B.jpeg
    F177EB04-A9DC-4ADD-A239-163AA91A5A8B.jpeg
    258.1 KB · Views: 9
Well, it’s day 21 here and I have 2 pips but one is in the wrong end of the egg. Any experience with that? I have heard of it but haven’t seen it myself before. Hope the chick makes it. 🤞
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching.64660/

These are a great resource for trying to help a hatch a pipped but struggling chick. Hope it goes well for you.

hey wally did you get you power back up? Although 12 hours should be ok the less outage the better imo. An outage in a well insulated incubator will have a different effect than in a non insulated one and an outage in summer will be better than one in the height of winter.
I certainly would try to stop them eggs dropping below 20C which is 17 degrees lower than it should be so 12 hours is very vague to me. Do they mean temps can drop 12 degrees or do they mean eggs can drop to the freezing point and still be fine as long as it happens within 12 hours.

Well, it’s day 21 here and I have 2 pips but one is in the wrong end of the egg. Any experience with that? I have heard of it but haven’t seen it myself before. Hope the chick makes it. 🤞
How is the the little wrong ended chick? I have had to assist in this situation a few times, this current hatch included. Sometimes they pop out just fine. If you haven't already done, read this: article:https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching.64660 or https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886

I start by enlarging the pip hole slightly to ensure the chick is able to breath and that the beak is visible, so I can keep an eye on it. Sometimes they can not progress as they are completely turned around in the shell.
I do it under a heat lamp over a hot/damp towel to keep the humidity up and antibacterial ointment on the membrane if needed to keep it moist if is looks like it is starting to dry out.
It is quite similar to a regular assist, you may need to help the chick fully. If so, it may need some physical therapy or foot corrections as they often have some issues with their feet/legs as they need that last push out they do to straighten out their feet and build up leg muscles.
Good luck! 😊

Back
Top Bottom