FEED ME takes over her plot!

kbroom

Songster
Jan 26, 2023
This morning, I stepped out to check FEED ME, my cucumber plant that is about to eat the whole neighborhood! Normally, I don't name my plants, but I've made an exception with this one. I harvested seven cucumbers (some perfect pickle size) today, and put them in a colander to consider for a later salad. I LOVE sliced cucumber with lemon juice and salt sprinkled on top. It's the most simple salad I know, but very good, especially when served cold. Below is a pic of the infamous, FEED ME!, along with a pic of some harvest.

Attachments

• IMG_4701.JPG
    IMG_4701.JPG
    821.4 KB · Views: 740
  • IMG_4699.JPG
    IMG_4699.JPG
    380 KB · Views: 5
Make absolutely sure someone knows when you go in the garden. If you're not back by a certain time, they should know to send out a search party. Just sayin.

Reminds me of these "cucumbers" that I just had to rescue while fiddleheading one day. They were all alone, not too far from these corn fields, and they were everywhere. I collected as many as my camera case could carry and put them in pots in my bedroom window. Within a couple of weeks, they had overtaken my window, so I moved them outside in front of my largest coop and expected the best.

By fall, those cucumbers had grown up the coop's wall and overtook everything around them. As the cucumbers themselves grew... I discovered something off about them, besides the fact the wished to be a jungle, they were spikey... After some research, I discovered they were wild cucumbers which are POISONOUS! I pulled every single plant, treated them like they were diseased, and abandoned far from my chicken coop in a swamp. They did good there too, and were actually kinda nice. I think they've finally gave up on coming back every year though. Definitely a mistake I'll never do again!

Reminds me of these "cucumbers" that I just had to rescue while fiddleheading one day. They were all alone, not too far from these corn fields, and they were everywhere. I collected as many as my camera case could carry and put them in pots in my bedroom window. Within a couple of weeks, they had overtaken my window, so I moved them outside in front of my largest coop and expected the best.

By fall, those cucumbers had grown up the coop's wall and overtook everything around them. As the cucumbers themselves grew... I discovered something off about them, besides the fact the wished to be a jungle, they were spikey... After some research, I discovered they were wild cucumbers which are POISONOUS! I pulled every single plant, treated them like they were diseased, and abandoned far from my chicken coop in a swamp. They did good there too, and were actually kinda nice. I think they've finally gave up on coming back every year though. Definitely a mistake I'll never do again!
Thank goodness, I know where these came from. I planted them, and got the seed from the store....that sounds like a Hitchcock movie! I've been eating them. These are a bit spikey...if they're poisonous, my husband says I've killed about 50 people. I've been giving them away to friends and neighbors! :wee :D

Attachments

• IMG_4699.JPG
    IMG_4699.JPG
    380 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom