feeding Chickens Black pepper

Quote:
pop.gif

I called my dad when my chickens started laying...just to see if there was anything special I need to do with the eggs..like storage or washing. He told me that his parents would sprinkle cayenne pepper on the food during the winter to pick up the amount of eggs their hens laid...I didn't know black pepper would work but I guess...pepper is pepper!

Well today is Day 2 of the black pepper experiment and I did not get all 5 eggs at once like I did yesterday, but I got 3 at 0830 1 at noon, and another in the nest now doing the egg song. so hopefully she lays by tonight and I will get my 5. Kinda missed my 6 mark, but it is still up from what I was getting. The experiment will continue though I will tell you this.

Keep the experiment going. I am going to start with black pepper today..LOL
It can't hurt as I am only getting one or two eggs a day.

Last edited:
Well I got my 5th egg lastnight, well sometime after 3pm. I did not feed the black pepper yesterday to see how many eggs i get today. I have only got 2 so far and none of them are acting like they want to lay as of yet. I will feed the pepper again today to see if my count goes up again.

I fed mine a leftover jalepano along side a zucchini and they gobbled down the zucchini and just gave me the stink eye about the jalepeno.

from the information I have seen on the internet through many differant sources I have found, chickens know for the most part what they can eat and not hurt them, and what not to eat. Even though chickens do not have the same taste buds that heat up when something spicy is eaten, they can tell if something is harmful and will not eat it. I have not looked into that type of pepper yet, but common pepper types I keep seeing are red pepper, and cyan pepper. I have no idea what jalapeno pepper would do. But it is something for me to look into.

Back
Top Bottom