feeding Chickens Black pepper

Honestly idk if that works but you may be onto something here. You said they drank 2 gallons of water so I would check their waterer once or twice a day. I have never tried this with my flock but it sounds like a pretty good plan.

I gotta say I was skeptical when I read about this,but with 3 30 week olds,2 25 week olds not laying an two not laying since mid October due to moult I had to try. I mixed up some pepper with their feed three days in a row and two of my 30 wk. Olds started on third day. and a couple days later one of my 25 wk.old started.Been busy and forgot for a week remembered yesterday and today my black sex link who finished moulting 6 weeks ago finally laid for me. I went from 0 eggs to 4 a day. Could be coincedence but I'm starting to believe.

Does anyone know where to buy cayenne pepper or ground black pepper in bulk? We pay dearly here in Ca for both of these. For me, one of four started laying after molt since using cayenne but no changes since. In fact, the Wyndotte stopped laying so I'm getting just one egg a day out of four. I'm just not willing to invest anymore unless I can get it in bulk.

Quote:
I don't know about bulk but you can get it in a big container that should last you a while! You can always get red pepper flakes and use a coffee grinder if you have one to grind it! its less expensive that way. Or just crush it yourself! You could try Costco if you have one there!

Day 3.... still no eggs! The girls do seem a little restless though, I hope its not because they are egg bound! Continuing with the pepper......
hmm.png

I got the 3 usual eggs from my hens yesterday but they were laid in the am as apposed to their evening laying!
smile.png
I am on Day 2 and will go check to see if they have laid her in a couple hours! lets see if i can get 3 eggs a day as apposed to 3 every other day! who nows maybe the girls who aren't laying will start!

Quote:
I think this must work because I have not had worms since I started useing snuff thirty years ago. I will try the pepper on my wife as she has not been laying frequently.

LOL Tom G!!!!
lau.gif
yuckyuck.gif

Another new layer today. I don't know if It's the black pepper or if they get stimulated by others laying or if it was just time for them to start, but I know I'll try the pepper again next time I need eggs.

O.K. So I am the one who said that I would give my Non production Bantams, who maybe only lay 2 eggs a week! out of 16 Bantams have been maybe getting 3 eggs every other day or every couple days same 3 layers. I took out my one hen who has a bad case of sour crop, she was just starting to lay again too. UPDATED Results!
Results:
Day 1: 3 Eggs
Day 2: 1 Egg
Day 3: 3 Eggs
Day 4: 0 Eggs
Day 5: 3 Eggs, 1 being a brand new layer, one of my Nankin/Silkie crosses.

Last edited:
Quote:
I gave them a cayenne and black pepper sunflower seed treat. Hoping for extra eggs tomorrow. Today's egg from Snow White was bigger than her normal but not a double yolked size.

Got a regular size egg from Snow White who has been laying since November 24th. However - I also got a GREEN EGG from our pullet Smokey - her first egg ever. Coincidence? Don't know. But she wasn't laying until I started the pepper and sunflower seeds. I'll have to see if the other two pullets start up too.

That's Smokey's green egg on the right!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/97463_new_years_eve_egg_2011_015.jpg

Another treat of sunflowers and red/black pepper was given tonight.

I've given them a peppered treat each day, but I'm only getting one egg still. The green egg layer hasn't laid again and no one else has started yet. I'll give them treats again tomorrow it I don't see a direct correlation yet.

Back
Top Bottom