Feeding chickens pop corn how much protein

Thats what find on unpopped. All I find on popped is by grams
There isn't any protein added or lost by the process of popping.

I also read that you believe sunflower seeds are high in cholesterol. There also any cholesterol in sunflower seeds. Cholesterol is only from animal sources, never plants. Perhaps you meant fat? They are oily.

Popped or unpopped
So what about these minerals in the pop corn.

manganese, folate, niacin, vitamin A, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, zinc, copper and selenium in popcorn.
are they in dent corn and are they the same percentage better or worse.
The information would be for un-popped popcorn and the minerals/vitamins should be about the same as in Yellow Dent Corn.

Chris

There isn't any protein added or lost by the process of popping.

I also read that you believe sunflower seeds are high in cholesterol. There also any cholesterol in sunflower seeds. Cholesterol is only from animal sources, never plants. Perhaps you meant fat? They are oily.
I read some more on this since you brought that up and what the study on the chickens raised on BOSS did say that it raised cholesterol in the yolk. what it did not say was that it was HDL good cholesterol. Some times this gets so confusing what ever happened to the days when I just took the corn sheller hand operated and gave the chickens shelled corn and oats nothing else.
Glad you brought that up so I could learn more. I will be planting the BOSS this summer to add to my feed. 2 or 3 rows the whole length of the corn field.
Here's the post and sorce

SUNFLOWER

Sunflower seeds are used for oil production. The meal remaining after oil extraction is a potential feed ingredient for poultry. Sunflower meal has a relatively high protein content (17-21%) but is low in energy and deficient in lysine, limiting its use. Solvent extracted sunflower seed meal cannot be used in certified organic feeds. The oil must be removed with mechanical extraction.
It is also possible to include whole sunflower seeds in poultry diets. Research has shown that whole sunflower seeds can be included at up to 30# of layer diets with no adverse affects on hen performance. Hens fed diets containing sunflower seeds, however, give eggs with a significantly reduced color score (i.e., they look pale) and a significant rise in yolk cholesterol content.
When the seeds are ground, they can be included in broiler diets up to 50%.

http://www.ca.uky.edu/smallflocks/feed_ingredients/proteins.html

Last edited:
It's fascinating that chickens produce more cholesterol in the yolk in response to a seed diet. It's a subject of much debate whether eating cholesterol raises cholesterol levels in humans. There is an argument that it's fat in your diet that causes your body to produce more cholesterol (same as when those chickens are eating a lot of oily seeds...) rather than cholesterol in your food passing from your digestive tract to your blood stream. But, like you say, more HDL is not something to worry about either way.

I have always read that popped corn is around 12% protein. I used to tell my kids that is was not junk food and way better for a snack than other things with sugar. I would rather give that as a snack to the chickens than bread, pasta, etc. Just saying, keep it in moderation - plus it is fun to watch them eat it, chase each other with it.

It's fascinating that chickens produce more cholesterol in the yolk in response to a seed diet. It's a subject of much debate whether eating cholesterol raises cholesterol levels in humans. There is an argument that it's fat in your diet that causes your body to produce more cholesterol (same as when those chickens are eating a lot of oily seeds...) rather than cholesterol in your food passing from your digestive tract to your blood stream. But, like you say, more HDL is not something to worry about either way.
They say whatever goes in your chicken through food comes out in the egg. That is why they say not to feed to much fish products it will make the egg smell or taste like fish. Lots of controversy over that one.

Back
Top Bottom