Feeding Ducks + Chickens

ClickerChick

Songster
9 Years
Apr 13, 2012
SE Washington State
I have one duck living with three chickens. I am currently feeding them Purina Layena (18-20% protein) pellets, and Family Farm cracked corn.

I recently found out that the layer pellets I'm giving them is not suitable for ducks unless I supplement it. How should I feed her? Would it be safe for the chickens to feed duck food? Or supplementing the feed with something safe for the chickens? Maybe some type of food that works well for both species. I don't know if I could manage to feed them separately.

Any advice? If you need any more information, just ask! Thanks!

@ClickerChick Where'd you hear that about the feed? I feed my ducks Layena and Armada brand pellets without any issues and always have. Supplement with what?

Last edited:
My ducks, geese, genies and chickens all eat the same thing you
are using but I also give rice, oatmeal and vegetables from the
table or that would otherwise go in the garbage ......
Ducks are like dogs they eat first then taste later but a Duck is
a very strong and tuff animal .......

gander007
old.gif

Lizzie is limping, and finding nothing visually wrong with her foot or leg, I did more research and found that it could be a Niacin deficiency. Ducks need WAY more niacin than chickens, and feeding them chicken food doesn't give them enough.

Good sources of Niacin include brewers yeast, liquid vitamin B, or just plain Niacin tablets. I have given her some brewers yeast, as instructed on another forum, and her limp is getting better, but she still is limping slightly.

Lizzie is limping, and finding nothing visually wrong with her foot or leg, I did more research and found that it could be a Niacin deficiency. Ducks need WAY more niacin than chickens, and feeding them chicken food doesn't give them enough.

Good sources of Niacin include brewers yeast, liquid vitamin B, or just plain Niacin tablets. I have given her some brewers yeast, as instructed on another forum, and her limp is getting better, but she still is limping slightly.
It may take awhile before it is completely gone, have you ruled out she may have some how sprained her leg or foot? maybe not enough to where you'd visibly see swelling but enough to have a limp for a few days. One of my 9yr olds was limping slightly when I walked her inside to her stall tonight I checked her feet and legs over couldn't find anything but something was making her limp, they get brewers yeast daily in their feed. I'll have to keep an eye on her tomorrow. Maybe do an Epsom salt soak.

No I haven't, it is possible that she did hurt it somehow in the garden. There are tons of holes where the sunflowers were, she could have slipped in one...

I'll continue to watch her.

Back
Top Bottom