Feeding question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Runnerduck918, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Runnerduck918

Runnerduck918 Chirping

Nov 18, 2017
    Hi!!
    I have 4 runner ducks! And they are little laying machines!! I have them on organic layer crumbles the question I have is how much feed should the get...I give them it in the morning and small amount before I coop them...
    Thanks

Tracey

casportpony and Miss Lydia like this.
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Layers need feed all through the day light hrs. It takes a lot of calcium to make those eggs.

3. Runnerduck918

Runnerduck918 Chirping

Nov 18, 2017
    Ok thank you!!! I didn’t wanna over feed them :)

Tracey

casportpony and Miss Lydia like this.
  4. Miss Lydia

I don't think you can over feed Runners their metabolism is so high lol Mine eat like little piggies and are slim as a well a "bowling pin" lol

5. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Hello, Ducks are not Chickens so should be fed a feed appropriate for Ducks with oyster shell in a separate dish..Best wishes..

6. Miss Lydia

Appropriate feed for ducks is what we can get which can be layer or an all flock or duck finisher or layer just depends on what part of the world we are in. I'd say a great majority of us know Ducks are not Chickens. :)

7. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

X2

*Ducklings* have higher Niacin needs than chicks, but that's only up to 10-12 weeks of age... after that point, ducks are just fine with feed formulated for chickens... and actively laying ducks do quite well on a regular layer feed...

I also freed feed my ducks, they're Calls... *most* ducks won't overeat and regulate themselves quite well... :)

casportpony, Pyxis and Miss Lydia like this.
  8. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchi Wan Kenobi

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I too free feed my ducks and never have an issue with them overeating. I go the route of feeding them a chick starter with oyster shell on the side so that the drakes aren't eating calcium they don't need and the ones that are laying can still get the calcium that they need from the oyster shell. They don't overeat and they aren't overweight :)

9. Fluffy Injun

Fluffy Injun In the Brooder

Mar 27, 2017
    Ohio
    Mine get a big scoop in the morning and a big scoop in the evening. They free range and hang by the pond the rest of the day.

10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

Give them as much as they will eat in a day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: