Feeding sick hen dry cat food?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by LilyLovesBugs, Mar 6, 2012.

1. LilyLovesBugs

LilyLovesBugs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    I know someone who's hen is sick, and they don't feed their hens chicken feed, they let them forage all day and feed them cracked corn mix. Is it ok to feed the hen moisten dry cat food because it has more protien?

2. lambchicks

lambchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    North Carolina
    I usually mix some yogurt with a little laying mash, when they are sick. Is cat food less expensive than chicken food?

3. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    a little cat food won't hurt them. I give mine scrambled eggs, good protein and easy for them to eat.

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    What's silly about that is scratch feed is almost the same price as layer feed. I don't understand why they don't just feed (even if they want to control/limit the amount) a more balanced diet with higher protein for the same money.

Many folks feed cat food to chickens for an on hand very high protein boost. Some swear by it to speed up egg laying after molt. It may help a sick bird, high energy and vitamin food certainly wouldn't hurt it.

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    The hen is most likely malnourished and has a weak immune system so the best thing that they can do is start feeding chicken feed and maybe put some electrolytes in the water for a week or two. .
    Once the hen is on chicken feed of 4 or 5 day then they may want to hit her with a good wormer and poultry dust.

Chris

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Catfood has more sodium in it than layer feed, not good for a chicken.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  7. LilyLovesBugs

LilyLovesBugs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    Thanks everyone! I haven't seen her hen today, but she put it with the rest of the chickens because it's doing so well. They are going to buy chicken feed next time I think.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by