Feeding sick hen dry cat food?

LilyLovesBugs

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 1, 2011
I know someone who's hen is sick, and they don't feed their hens chicken feed, they let them forage all day and feed them cracked corn mix. Is it ok to feed the hen moisten dry cat food because it has more protien?

What's silly about that is scratch feed is almost the same price as layer feed. I don't understand why they don't just feed (even if they want to control/limit the amount) a more balanced diet with higher protein for the same money.

Many folks feed cat food to chickens for an on hand very high protein boost. Some swear by it to speed up egg laying after molt. It may help a sick bird, high energy and vitamin food certainly wouldn't hurt it.

I know someone who's hen is sick, and they don't feed their hens chicken feed, they let them forage all day and feed them cracked corn mix. Is it ok to feed the hen moisten dry cat food because it has more protien?

The hen is most likely malnourished and has a weak immune system so the best thing that they can do is start feeding chicken feed and maybe put some electrolytes in the water for a week or two. .
Once the hen is on chicken feed of 4 or 5 day then they may want to hit her with a good wormer and poultry dust.

Chris

Thanks everyone! I haven't seen her hen today, but she put it with the rest of the chickens because it's doing so well. They are going to buy chicken feed next time I think.

Back
Top Bottom