Feeding...

Michelle1312

Chirping
Aug 20, 2018
Prince Edward Island, Canada
I have a coop with 5 chickens.. I feed them daily but when I go out they come running like they are starved. Is this normal? Are they starving or just excited to eat? When they start eating they go crazy, they are eating a grower mix. Should I be feeding something else maybe?
Thanks!

I have a coop with 5 chickens.. I feed them daily but when I go out they come running like they are starved. Is this normal? Are they starving or just excited to eat? When they start eating they go crazy, they are eating a grower mix. Should I be feeding something else maybe?
Thanks!

What age are the chickens? I think this is pretty typical of chickens in general. Mine go nuts when first bring out the food and let them out to free range. Their two favorite activities. :):)

Oh your from PEI. I know some friends up there. Dave and Jean Tingley. My husband and I have visited there a few times. Lovely place. Love the preserve company up there and charming as heck to visit.

Thanks!

In general a 1/4lb feed per bird per day is fine. Offer free choice poultry grit assuming over 8 weeks of age otherwise chick grit. They only need about 1lb grit per 40 lb bag of feed. I mix mine in my feed and offer about 1/2 cup on the side. I do this to eliminate waste of grit. You can offer greens and mealworms for protein but limit to only 10% of diet as considered treats. I can’t comment on grower feed because I don’t know age of birds but sounds fine if over 8 weeks and not yet laying age yet. What’s the protein level?

Wait till the chicks peck at you before you can even put the food down. They can be a little pushy sometimes. What kind do you have?

That's just chickens. They can have a full feeder, and if I walk out with the feed scoop they'll still get excited and attack the "new" feed. For about two seconds. Grower mix is perfect. Are they laying age? If so, they should have a container of oyster shell available at all times, and preferably another container of grit as well.

If not sure about laying age about 15 weeks can start oyster shell free choice in separate container. Usually by 18-20 weeks can move on to a 16% layer feed. At this age lower protein with higher calcium is needed for good egg shell production. Sounds like your doing fine! :):thumbsup

What age are the chickens? I think this is pretty typical of chickens in general. Mine go nuts when first bring out the food and let them out to free range. Their two favorite activities. :):)

They are about 2 1/2

They are about 3 months! I assumed it was just in their nature to get exc6for food. I just wanted to make sure their food was filling them or if they were just hungry..

That's just chickens. They can have a full feeder, and if I walk out with the feed scoop they'll still get excited and attack the "new" feed. For about two seconds. Grower mix is perfect. Are they laying age? If so, they should have a container of oyster shell available at all times, and preferably another container of grit as well.

They aren't laying age yet.. thanks!

They are about 2 1/2

They are about 3 months! I assumed it was just in their nature to get exc6for food. I just wanted to make sure their food was filling them or if they were just hungry..

At 3 months would keep on grower feed for sure and probably just excited. :):p

Back
Top Bottom