Female Button Quail, sudden change in poop, behavior, and protruding breastbone.

Quincy Buttons

In the Brooder
Feb 25, 2018
Can someone help identify the problem with my female button quail? She's ~2 years old (average lifetime of 3 years), has stopped laying eggs for several months, lives indoors alone, in a constantly clean cage. A few days ago I noticed that her poop has turned ashy grey and watery (been eating and drinking more than usual, saw her yesterday expel some water from her beak). Her breastbone has stuck out, shes lost weight, and looks disheveled (has lost many feathers from the past 2 weeks, probably molting). She sleeps under the heatlamp for longer periods of time, and is constantly sluggish and will sometimes jump up and start running around very fast for a few moments, then sleep again. Today, she keeps on shivering, twisting her neck, and closing her eyes at the same time. I feed her laying crumble, along with an assortment of seeds, ground oat flakes, calcium grits, and vitamin supplements. Occasionally some greens, but I haven't given her mealworms in a while.
I've been doing some reading and I'm suspecting that it might be worms.
Thank you so much, any help is much appreciated!

Are you able to post any pics of her and/or her droppings? I'm sorry for your poor bird! :( If you think it's worms, I've heard of pumpkin seeds being a natural dewormer, I believe? You could try offering some to her if you'd like if you don't want to start her on worm medicine without complete confirmation. Have you been able to send a stool sample anywhere?

Welcome To BYC

I don't know much about Quail at all, but ashy grey poop sounds like Ulcerative Enteritis as outlined in @TwoCrows article linked below. Do you have access to any antibiotics?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-issues-and-keeping-your-quail-healthy.67379/

Ah yes Iv'e looked into this article as well. I'm not sure if my quail has it, as she is eating lots and has had this condition for several days now. I don't have easy access to antibiotics unfortunately, and I would like to look into her sickness very intensely before buying any. Thank you so much for the warm welcome and helping out! :)

Are you able to post any pics of her and/or her droppings? I'm sorry for your poor bird! :( If you think it's worms, I've heard of pumpkin seeds being a natural dewormer, I believe? You could try offering some to her if you'd like if you don't want to start her on worm medicine without complete confirmation. Have you been able to send a stool sample anywhere?

Thank you so much for your concern! I'll definitely try out the pumpkin seeds :D I'll also get her some mealworms as well since I haven't fed her some for a few weeks (it's been a busy month for me!). Her poo has improving from yesterday, this time it's a natural color, but with lots of water along with it (been drinking a lot of water recently, and I sometimes feed her wet laying crumble bc she really gobbles it up). I didn't get a chance to take a picture today, but I'll definitely snap one tomorrow! My parents are actually extremely restrictive when it comes to buying things or spending money for my quails aside from food bc they think they aren't "sentient", but I think thats a large bowl of crap. I'm trying my best though to comfort her and give her what she wants (she likes sleeping on my hands). Again, thank you so much for your response! :)

Thank you so much for your concern! I'll definitely try out the pumpkin seeds :D I'll also get her some mealworms as well since I haven't fed her some for a few weeks (it's been a busy month for me!). Her poo has improving from yesterday, this time it's a natural color, but with lots of water along with it (been drinking a lot of water recently, and I sometimes feed her wet laying crumble bc she really gobbles it up). I didn't get a chance to take a picture today, but I'll definitely snap one tomorrow! My parents are actually extremely restrictive when it comes to buying things or spending money for my quails aside from food bc they think they aren't "sentient", but I think thats a large bowl of crap. I'm trying my best though to comfort her and give her what she wants (she likes sleeping on my hands). Again, thank you so much for your response! :)

No problem! Hope she gets all cleared up soon. It's a good time for pumpkin seeds, being October and all. lol Glad she seems to be getting better. And I'm sorry to hear that, that's sad. :(

Back
Top Bottom