fenbendazole dosage?

oh my this is all just so much. there are so many differences of opinion on this site and it just makes it all so difficult for someone who doesn't know anything, like me. Carolyn, I read that there was no withdrawal time with this product? and have you successfully gotten rid of worms with the water method? or has it just been a preventative measure? I must say that method is the one that looks more feasible for me right now. but I do want to do the right thing.

As I mentioned earlier, I use a paste version of this rather than the liquid, and I administer it directly to each bird so I know what they are getting. There is definitely a withdrawal period. Very few drugs do not.

If it were me, I would simply go to the feed store and get a paste version of Fenbendazole 10% (such as Safeguard). It's very common and not expensive. Administer a pea size portion to each adult bird using a syringe with no needle. (Small pea size for small birds.) Pharmacies have this type of syringe for giving medicine to children, the opening is just the right size. (The ones I got at the feed store were a bit small.) Repeat in 10 days. It's not hard to get them to open their mouth if you squeeze gently on the jaw. Some of my friends tug gently on their wattles but I haven't tried that.

Best of luck.

If they were mine I would give 0.23 ml per pound orally for 5 days in a row. That amount will treat large roundworms, cecal worms, gapeworms, capillary worms and some species of tapeworms.

When given just one day, as CarolynF did, only large roundworms will be treated.

Safeguard is not approved for laying hens in the US so there *is* a withdrawal, and most people wait 14 days past the last worming.

This is news to me, I'd like to get more information on it. As I've said, I use 10% paste and would like to confirm. Can you point me to your source? Very much appreciated.

I would like to apologize for some of my posts that seem to be out of step with others posting here. I'm just getting used to this new version of the forum and I haven't been seeing all the posts before writing my reply. I'll try to be more careful now!

yes I am having trouble too as I am just now seeing some posts that I hadn't seen earlier. there was a question if this was the same hen I posted about before? I do have a hen named hattie but I don't remember having any issues with her. Gretel, an Americauna/red sex link, had lice a few weeks ago. I did not see any mites. I actually didn't see any lice either, just egg sacs attached to her feathers near her vent. But she was balding underneath her wings so something was getting at her. what should I do to give her more protein? and oh my goodness how am I to know if it's that?

This is news to me, I'd like to get more information on it. As I've said, I use 10% paste and would like to confirm. Can you point me to your source? Very much appreciated.

Here is one study - Worms mentioned are roundworm, cecal worm, gape worm and common chicken taoeworm:
"Efficacy of fenbendazole against helminth parasites of poultry in Uganda.
Ssenyonga GS.
Abstract
Fenbendazole 4% (Panacur, Hoechst) administered in feed was used to treat chickens infected with Ascaridia galli, Heterakis gallinarum and Railletina spp. It was also used to treat Syngamus trachea in broiler birds. There was a marked drop in helminth egg counts in the faeces on the second day of treatment and the faeces became negative by the seventh day after the last treatment. Post-mortem examination 15 to 21 days later showed that the drug was 100% effective against Ascaridia galli and Heterakis gallinarum at 10 mg/kg. However, for complete removal of Railletina spp. 15 mg/kg was required. Similarly 20 mg/kg fenbendazole was effective against Syngamus trachea. It was concluded that fenbendazole is suitable for the treatment of the important intestinal and tracheal worms of poultry, a dose of 15 to 20 mg/kg for 3 consecutive days being recommended for use under field conditions."

Here is what one book says:

Capillary worms - Five days for this worm

Gapeworm - Five days for this worm

Roundworm - One day

Cecal worm - One day

And this is what one vet said to give:
safeguard_rx_1.jpg

Plumb's veterinary drug handbook:

i'm sorry… I am on my phone and it is not interfacing very well. She is eating and drinking. Acting rather lethargically. She has lost weight. She does not look vital and peppy like she used to. It's been about a month since she has laid any eggs.

Back
Top Bottom