Fence Material

Snilref

Chirping
Jun 28, 2023
California
We're building a new coop and run, and we have a bunch of dog fence wire. A lot of posts here talk about using hardware cloth to keep critters out. But is critter fence wire just as good? fence.jpg hardwarecloth.jpg

Is the intention to have a predator proof run, or predator resistant? What are the predators you deal with, and what pests? What size openings is that wire, and what gauge?

Attachments

• ReallyWantCoon.jpg.f99a3ce99573c5c90658523b75c7c073.jpg
    ReallyWantCoon.jpg.f99a3ce99573c5c90658523b75c7c073.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 7
To save money, we use that type of fence for a large semi-secure daytime run. We cover that run with heavy duty hawk netting as hawks are the only daytime predators we have seen. Our coop and smaller secure run have 1/2" hardware cloth to keep out the smaller nighttime predators.
That is precisely the route I would take, less the net, since we have loads of tree cover and a wide awake cockerel.

Is the intention to have a predator proof run, or predator resistant? What are the predators you deal with, and what pests? What size openings is that wire, and what gauge?
I was hoping for a predator proof run. I've seen a skunk up on the hilltop where we live. And we see an occasional dog wandering around. Neighbors have reported snakes, but I haven't seen any.

I inherited the fence wire we have, so I had to use my calipers to measure the specifics. The holes are 2" x 4" and it's 14 gauge wire.

I was hoping for a predator proof run. I've seen a skunk up on the hilltop where we live. And we see an occasional dog wandering around. Neighbors have reported snakes, but I haven't seen any.

I inherited the fence wire we have, so I had to use my calipers to measure the specifics. The holes are 2" x 4" and it's 14 gauge wire.
And the hardware cloth I was considering is 1/2" x 1/2" 19 gauge galvanized steel.

Back
Top Bottom