Feral Pigs

Animal rights groups are outraged over what they say is persecution of pigs. Don Anthony, of the Animal Rights Foundation of Florida, said he doesn’t believe the swine are causing all the problems that are claimed.

He wants state leaders to “leave them alone or find a way to neuter them to keep their population down,” he said. Since the hogs have been in the United States for five hundred years, they’re “almost natives,” so “we should be used to them by now. Killing them is barbaric and unnecessary,” he said.

Chance are Mr. Anthony lives in a condo someplace and doesn't have a field of alfalfa that he's planning on harvesting to feed his stock only to have it turned into a mass of mud by a herd of feral pigs.​

the top predator in the uk (humans excluded) is probably foxes now. Humans killed off all the wolves, they've been extinct in the uk since the 16th century.

Just two weeks ago my husband and I watched a program about them and destruction that they cause. The show talked about how they came to America and the Eurasian (sp?) wild boar in Russia. They have killed people due to their aggression. The show also showed some hog hunters and their dogs. It was a very interesting program. I bet they would yummy for a pig roast.

I live on the west side of Dartmoor (UK) and recently boar have been spotted localy.

Last year 5 got onto out peninsular (Bere Peninsula if you're interested) IIRC they lasted less than 5 days before they were all shot. The issue I have with that, is that in the UK they have no place in law. Any farmers son with a 12 bore can go for them. It destroys the meat, causes pain to the beast and hacks me off. At least legislate for a clean kill ! (imho.)

On the other point of damage and danger ? In the UK the place is so small you could fence and "Cattle grid" like they've done to most of the moorland. The danger ? Hades in a handbasket guys ?! If you follow the country code (Like keeping your dogs undercontrol etc) and learn basics of nature like "Don't get between mother and baby" ... It MAKES you aware of your enviroments etc. The big ones are easily hunted under licence thereby causing employment and paying some of the costs of fencing and damge.
cool.png

It is a fact that the woodland thrives for them. If you've ever walked a bluebell wood the second year after boar destruction it is super vibrant. Have we got any Germans or East Europeans in our membership ? They'd have some good input here imho

BTW ... there are instances of attempts of re introduction of Beaver in places over here.... Wolf wouldn't have the space anywhere in England.... Scotland, maybe ?.... You guys living elsewhere in the world need to realise just how small and compacted the UK is relative to most places in the world. It puts a whole different spin on our views.

mom'sfolly :

I don't think they have a season here in Texas. I think you can take wild hogs whenever. I wish I knew someone who had meat. I'd love some.

If you google snaring hogs there are a couple of guys down your way that "control" them I am sure you could find someone close the meat is best when the outside temps are below 25-30* F it spoils fairly quick that and it needs to be frozen for a month trichinosis is kina a problem with pork​

There is a guy who sells at the local farmer market, but his prices are extortionate. I could almost buy a whole pig for what he charges per pound. What makes it particularly bad is many landowners pay to have the hogs removed.

Back
Top Bottom