Fermented feed question

So, I have a question. I have some feed fermenting and it seems to be going great! I put some out for my birds today (4) and they seemed to like it, but didnt eat it all. Do I leave it out there or put fresh everyday? I am making it in a 2 gallon pick;le jar, so I have a lot! Will it stay good?

Thanks

I'm interested in this too! I think I'll start some. I'm just confused on should I put ACV in or not? I don't want too much either b/c I'm not sure how long it will last.

I just got my chicks this week, the owner of 3 of them used fermented feed. They are eating chick feed with water now.

WIxy-curious-how did you know it was bad and not just fermented? What temp is the room at where you are fermenting? Hearing others expereinces for me is the best way to learn!!!!

The most extensive article i have found on this and everyone keeps referring me to is: http://naturalchickenkeeping.blogspot.com/p/fermented-feed.html But I am still confused on the list above.
this link has by far the most scientific and clear explanations ive found for ff. sorry on a tablet so couldnt copy paste it. also they are quick to answer all questions. i started a nig batch yesterday. i believe u want to only put out fresh but the batch you have going will last indefinately...but please read the link for confirmation.

I have mine going all the time. Just take out what you need and add more feed and water, stir it up and repeat the next time. Leaving some in the bucket, will be the starter for the next batch.

Update on my fermented feed. I switched to using a larger 1-gallon container and am now using about 1/2 a cup of acv. It's going on 5 days now with no smell.

I switched from a glass bowl to this very expensive specialty fermenter. It works way better because it is much easier to carry around and I can get more feed in it.

It also seems to blend in with its surroundings. Next to the iron, it will probably never be discovered!

I started this batch after my last batch went bad from not stirring. I used ACV with mother, maybe a couple tbsp. I also added some of their grower crumbles. but it is mainly just scratch grains. I feed it in the morns and in the evenings, just throwing several spoonfuls out on the ground in different spots. Usually where I want the grass eaten down. Lazy man's lawn mowing
:D

Last edited:
LilBev: Yeah see? Chickens cause creativity!!!

KuntryGirl: Honestly it is very easy-almost scarily so! From all the info I have read, the most scientific explanation on how to go about this was from website Iposted earlier. Here is what I have done so far:
5 gal plastic bucket: filled 1/2 full with water. added about 1/3 C ACV with mother and 1/2 C buttermilk with live cultures...stirred it up and added several big scoops of pellet layer food and scratch grains. Put the cover on lightly (to keep critters out but allow air flow). Each day I scoop out some and put it on some .99 cent plastic trays I picked up. Then stir in more food/scratch and water as needed.
Within 3 days it was bubbling away for me when I stired it. The chickens are crazy about it! We have had a really odd winter/spring here....we rcvd. 10 inches of snow week ago Monday and by Friday it was over 70. The FF seemed to be going along well...then we suddenly dropped temps again (and 8 more inches of snow) and I think the cold may have slowed things down. I added in some hot water to try and bring the temp back up a little-have to see how that works out.

Hello all,

I'm a San Diego, CA newbie to BYC and to chicken keeping in general. I read http://naturalchickenkeeping.blogspot.com/p/fermented-feed.html and I want to start fermenting Scratch and Peck non-GMO Grower feed (17% protein) for my three 11-week-old pullets.

I tried to read the "Fermented Feeds for Meat Birds" thread (https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/644300/fermenting-feed-for-meat-birds), but 555 pages was a lot to take in . . . what I did read there suggested the containers needed exposure to the air and to use only a cheese cloth or towel on top. Is that suggestion only for the Apple Cider Vinegar fermenting? I thought the Lacto fermenting needed an air-tight container?

I was hoping to use a 2L Pickl-It container http://www.pickl-it.com/ for Lacto fermenting feed for only 3 chickens, but now I am worried about the possibility of mold given the prior cheese cloth recommendations.

I am also worried that maybe the 17% protein content of the Scratch and Peck grower feed is too high? The Natural Chicken Keeping blog said 16% should be fine . . . but again, I'm new to all this.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom