Finally Got my Roo To Stop Crowing!

Pics
Well, I hope you update us on your experience with it.
I really wonder how it will stay on a chickens neck.
Well, the rooster was fine with wearing the collar and the collar functioned as advertised, but the rooster didn't seem to care that the collar vibrated and made an alarming noise every time he crowed. I had the collar as tight as the straps and buckles would allow and it was fairly snug on his neck with about a fat fingers worth of space. My rooster is pretty tame and lets me handle him freely. He fussed a bit with the collar after I put it on, but was fine with it after 5 minutes max. I have tried it for one 24 hour cycle so far, but since i didn't see any real affect on his crowing I think this experiment might be a dud. But if you think your rooster would be deterred by a vibrating collar or beeping/alarm sound maybe it would be worth a try for you. The collar has several alarm sounds to choose, some more annoying than others (I tried most of them) and even lets you record a sound to play when the collar is triggered. The nice thing about this collar and why I choose to try it was that you can adjust everything from your phone as long as you are within about 50 ft, so I didn't have to bother the rooster at all to change settings. The one thing I might still try is recording a sound that the rooster might not like, like a hawks cry or something he'd be naturally afraid of. The setup was super simple and I liked that the pro version kept a log of all the roosters crowing so I could look at the data and make sure there was no false triggering. The collar also measures the sound level of the noise it hears which is cool. I had to set the sensitivity to the minimum for it to catch all his crows. It didn't have any false triggers which was good to see. I'll post again after a bit more experimenting.

So, you could also track results over time to see if he is crowing less frequently? Maybe he will crow less tomorrow if you pick a sound he might not like, like a hawk, and use it consistently. I'd be interested in seeing the results of such an experiment. Perhaps if he thinks his crowing brings the hawk, he might decide to stop?

Back
Top Bottom