Finally Got some Purina® Layena® Plus Omega-3 SunFresh® Recipe

they'reHISchickens :

We are using the coupons and saving the feed for winter when there is not much freeranging.

I wish that I could gather enough coupons for feed that I use so that I could save up for the winter.
hit.gif

The Omega 3 showed up at the TSC in Breaux Bridge three weeks ago.

Ground flax from a feed store is far cheaper than the human stores, I can find it for $1.50/lb though it is easier for me to spend an extra $1 on the chicken feed than to drive to a separate feed store.

I have been mixing the Omega3 in with the regular Layena and some Lone Star I bought that they don't care for.

Last edited:
Okay now that you all have been using the Layena Plus for as long or longer then myself. Are you still convinced Ot is good. All of my girls eggs are now pale yellow. My girls free range in the evening and are all under a year. I'm going to go back and use the regular Layena when this is gone, to see if it is not the feed. Is there something else that can cause that?

Are you saying the shell is pale yellow, the egg white, or the yolk? Personally I think the omega 3 is just a sales gimmick. I also read somewhere that the omega 3 used in this recipe is not the same omega 3 that studies have found to be beneficial. If I recall correctly the beneficial omega 3 is found in fish oils but the omega 3 used in the feed is plant based. I could have that all screwed up but that was my impression from the article I read.

Added: Here is one example I just quickly found online from an article published in the UK.

'In the absence of an official recommended daily amount, start by choosing products that contain EPA and DHA,' says Dr Richardson. 'This usually means fish oils. Vegetarian Omega 3 supplements usually contain none at all: instead, they are made with linseed or flax oil, which provide a different form of Omega 3.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1086799/Is-Omega-3-fish-oil-supplement-good--load-old-codswallop.html#ixzz1saczinzx

Last edited:
Personally I think its all a sales gimmick. I was in a feed store this last week and was looking at some of the sprays for mites and lice for the chickens and the coop. I read the label and was shocked at the percentage of active chemical that was in the 24 oz. bottle of spray. Less than .1 % not 1 % but .1 % Then rest was water. Now the chemical was potassium sorbate and citric acid, which can be had easily.Now get this, the bottle was 12.95. I know that the chemical cost in that bottle was less than .50. I just shook my head.

For all of you feeding the Layena Plus Omega 3:

So far it seems that the chickens like it but how do YOU like it? Eggs tasting good? Can you tell a difference in taste?

I'm wondering if anyone can either post or provide a link to this feed's list of ingredients.
All I can find is marketing jargon about what the feed is formulated to do.
I can't find any actual list of what it's actually made of!

Back
Top Bottom