Finally have my flock! Can anyone help with colours?

QuailTail

Songster
Aug 21, 2021
NSW Mid North Coast, Australia
Hi everyone!
I was finally able to collect my ladies today! :wee
10 female (hopefully) laying age coturnix, who all seem very tame and chill which is a nice surprise. I have left them to their aviary to settle in for the evening but they did let me come in and take photos, some were easier to get than others.

I would love to know what colours I have - I have done the best with taking the photos while trying not to overwhelm them too soon, so I can take more another day if these don't cut the mustard.

#1 - I only got one of this lady, hopefully it's enough!
IMG-20210919-WA0005.jpg

20210919_173025.jpg

20210919_173017.jpg

20210919_173046.jpg

20210919_172829.jpg

#5 - (I'm also not sure if the darker coloured girl in the background of the second photo with the white face and chest is the same bird as #2.. either she is or I missed taking her photo)
20210919_172837.jpg

20210919_172738.jpg

#6 - This poor lady is missing some feathers, hopefully the perpetrator did not come with her! I think I have three girls this colour so I will only post her and assume the others are the same.
20210919_172920.jpg
20210919_172938.jpg

#7 - The front lady. Didn't get her face, so she might be #2 🤣
20210919_173006.jpg

20210919_172729.jpg

20210919_172734.jpg

Any help identifying them would be amazing! Also, if there are any obvious signs that any are actually male would love to know!

1 - looks like it is range pattern with roux, silver, and fee.

2 - rosetta

3 - italian

4 - rosetta

5 - Texas a&m

6 - this one is hard, maybe some kind of pharaoh with 1 copy of fee? It looks almost like calico, but I believe calico should have a more elliptical shape to the back stripes. I’m guess it’s probably a combo of genes.

7 - rosetta

8 - rosetta

Many of your rosettas look like they could have the sparkly gene, but it’s hard to tell because a strong influence of wild pattern on range can have a similar look.

1 - looks like it is range pattern with roux, silver, and fee.

2 - rosetta

3 - italian

4 - rosetta

5 - Texas a&m

6 - this one is hard, maybe some kind of pharaoh with 1 copy of fee? It looks almost like calico, but I believe calico should have a more elliptical shape to the back stripes. I’m guess it’s probably a combo of genes.

7 - rosetta

8 - rosetta

Many of your rosettas look like they could have the sparkly gene, but it’s hard to tell because a strong influence of wild pattern on range can have a similar look.
Amazing, thank you!

I got a photo of #1's face this morning - didn't realise she had white on it and not sure if that changes her colour.
20210920_065955.jpg

And this is the suspected roo - one of the Pharaohs definitely crowed this morning, so now I just have to figure out which one 😅
20210920_070013.jpg

Hmm…did the person who sold you these sex them (vent) before selling them to you? The bulk of them can’t be feather sexed. I will leave it to the experts here to help you.
He claimed to, but he also showed me quickly how to and said he would exchange any roos if he missed any. One of the pharaohs (quickly absorbed back into the crowd) crowed in front of me this morning so guess I'm rubbing a quails butt today 🙃

That's a male and the white on the other means technically it's a tuxedo (dotted white genetics in there), the color may be blue over Rosetta. You'd only know for sure by test breeding, so if you're curious you have the perfect male to use.
Breeding sounds terrifying! I was set on not having any males, but if this roo is nice and quiet and well behaved (which so far he is) then maybe I'll keep him and in the future if I muster the courage I'll give it a go. The girls seem happy with him there, and the ratio is good, no risk of overbreeding.. 🤔

6 is a pharaoh. the one in the back of picture 7 looks like it might be male, its chest feathers look like they are red/orange. I would go through once they are settled and vent sex them
This website has good pictures of vent sexing
https://www.brimwoodfarm.com/articles/2018/7/5/coturnix-quail-sexing
That's a great reference, thank you! I did have my suspicions about that one, and I'm fairly certain that they were the first one to leave the cage and go investigate the space.. I would assume that's roo behavior? Tough though because of the three that look the same, I'm not sure which is which :confused:

Back
Top Bottom