Finally! Our First Egg!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by C&C Chickens, Oct 8, 2010.

1. C&C Chickens

C&C Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2010
    Bay Area
    I popped into the chicken run on my way to work to give some treats, and caught something out of the corner of my eye laying on the ground next to the waterer. Lo and behold, it was an egg! I almost didn't believe it at first after all this time. It is so small and cute (Sally our silkie is definitely the author, since she has been squatting and egg singing for the past two weeks). Hopefully the others will soon follow suit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Congratulations!!

3. 4hens4us

4hens4us Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2010
    Reno
    Congrats! I'm waiting patiently for our first egg. 25 weeks old & no eggs yet. How old is yours?

4. annaraven

annaraven Born this way

Apr 15, 2010
    SillyCon Valley
    Congratulations! I had to wait til 29 weeks for my first egg. Isn't it exciting?!

5. C&C Chickens

C&C Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2010
    Bay Area
    When we bought our pullets at the end of March, they were supposedly all born in March, so that means they are anywhere from 25-29 weeks old. It has definitely been a lonnnnng wait! Especially since some people reported getting eggs starting as early as 17-18 weeks.... But others posts made it clear that most chickens are 7 - 8 - 9 months before they start laying, which was very reassuring. So there is hope for our others who haven't yet started showing any signs.

6. Melty

Melty Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2009
    Hamilton, New Zealand
    [​IMG] Oh what a clever girl!
    The others will follow suit soon enough! My girls were all sisters and one started laying two weeks before another one decided to join her and another two weeks for the others.
    Mines of their own those chookies.
    Its definately going to be more exciting checking the coop form now on [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by