Fine, oily, tangly hair... Home remedies?

I have very long, fine hair. It can get oily, and weighed down if I don't wash it every day, or every other day. It does tangle! We have well water, and rust builds up. I use a shampoo I mix in with normal everyday shampoo to help with that. I also use a teaspoon of pure baking soda mixed in with my shampoo once a week. ( I have blonde hair) It helps brighten my hair up, and it will actually have some body after I use it. The baking soda was a suggestion from the wonderful lady who trims my hair when I need it. The treatments to get rust out can get expensive, but she knew some remedies to use at home to prevent the build up. She could have made a butt load of money off of me.
smile.png
The baking soda will help with the oily build up too.

Hope that helps.
smile.png

Bluemoon

Quote:

Ok, how often do you get your haircut? I may have lost my bet, lol. If, it's only to the shoulder, I am guessing you are actually pretty good about getting a haircut on a regular basis. What kind of shampoo is your usual brand? I am not a very big fan of Pert Plus, I think it can be kind of drying. No chemicals is good and the fact that you keep it back when working is good. Let me think on this some more and I will come back after my errands.

My hair tangles easy also. Combing it after washing is easier if I brush it before getting it wet to get all the knots out.

As for shampoo for oily hair, I like the Suave Green Apple. I still need to wash it daily, but it doesn't look too bad at the end of the day. And it's cheap.

Quote:
Me, too, but a few years ago, it actually started growing. So after 50+ years of wanting long hair, I finally have it--down to my waist right now--I trimmed a bit last week. I cycle through the shampoos and conditioners made for long hair, and use Aussie 3 Minute Miracle once in awhile.

So, my advice is "get old" and your hair will grow. (Oh, and it was in pretty awesome shape during one of my pregnancies, too--but wouldn't grow much past my shoulders.)

Quote:
I will bet that you are mistaking sweat for oil. In the sumer I sometimes shower several times a day--and I almost always rinse my hair thoroughly, but don't wash it each time. Lately I've only been shampooing every 2nd or 3rd day. It really does cut down on oil production if you cut back on oil stripping. Takes a time or two missed, though, for the lessening to kick in.

I have awful hair. My dad use to make me wash it 3x a day..

This year Ive finally said the heck with it! and I only wash my hair a couple maybe a few times a week. It seems to have helped it not get so oily so quick. I also stopped using conditioner.. Suprisingly it seems A LOT less tangly
hu.gif

53 and always had long stringy greasy hair. I had to shampoo daily.
Only thing that helped was vinegar. It's good for dry scalp too.
I did have a couple of years with short hair. Chopped my hair off because I was so depressed and then wished I hadn't. No matter how old I am I will never do that to myself again.

Wash the roots more than the the lower part of the hair and condition the ends up to about 3/4 of the way. Conditioner will make it feel and look greasy also. Use the vinegar rinse first and then condition.

Remember the more products you use, the more it will cover your hair and cause the problem.

By the way, thanks for all the suggestions. It's been so hectic around here lately I haven't been able to be on here long enough to reply most of the time lol.

Back
Top Bottom