Fingers crossed these EEs are pullets, thoughts?

AussieSuze

Chirping
Oct 22, 2020
Adelaide, South Australia
Out of the 16 chicks I‘ve hatched these are the only possible pullets. What do you think?

This one is 12 weeks old. I‘ve had no doubts she was a pullet, but over the past few days her comb has really reddened. I’m new to chickens, but thought she was still too young for that. It has been quite warm over the last few day (mid 30s Celsius or about 95 Fahrenheit), does that make a difference?
41D35049-9ABE-44F4-9300-17202BD54046.jpeg AF2C490B-DECA-4000-A544-49A6572475A1.jpeg

These next 2 chickens are 8 weeks old. The grey one, we call Tumbles because she wore shoes for her first couple of days due to curled toes. Tumbles is a particular favourite of my daughter, so fingers crossed she is a pullet.
2D95CB5C-25D6-482C-8FCA-2CC35A490248.jpeg E64D1927-FFDD-4497-9B75-23D75DC45353.jpeg
44D6F363-244D-4C59-89D1-EA3568223AAE.jpeg 4C6F1F5A-3AEB-43CF-892F-D2FC8A2A8E27.jpeg

Attachments

• 0B9A31C8-439B-40D4-B025-FD9F8DEBCEA6.jpeg
    0B9A31C8-439B-40D4-B025-FD9F8DEBCEA6.jpeg
    441.6 KB · Views: 1
I believe the last two are girls. I think the first is a girl but could be a boy due to the size of that comb, but have no other things to go on besides comb, she could be a fast maturing pullet as nothing else screams rooster, her hackle feathers appear rounded which would mean pullet. It is hard to see from the photo but if you check her hackle feathers do they appear round or pointy? You need to ignore the color and focus on the actual shape of the feather. If it is a boy you will begin to see saddle feathers poking out very soon. Keep an eye on her. What breed are they? If the first is a boy you may also begin hearing crowing soon.

I am thinking all girls. Someone else who responds may be able to change my opinion, depending on reasoning.

I believe the last two are girls. I think the first is a girl but could be a boy due to the size of that comb, but have no other things to go on besides comb, she could be a fast maturing pullet as nothing else screams rooster, her hackle feathers appear rounded which would mean pullet. It is hard to see from the photo but if you check her hackle feathers do they appear round or pointy? You need to ignore the color and focus on the actual shape of the feather. If it is a boy you will begin to see saddle feathers poking out very soon. Keep an eye on her. What breed are they? If the first is a boy you may also begin hearing crowing soon.

I am thinking all girls. Someone else who responds may be able to change my opinion, depending on reasoning.

From all that I’ve read on here she is all pullet except for the darkening of her comb. Its hard to tell in photos due to the colouring, but her hackle feathers are round at the moment. She is quite light, some of my cockerels who are a month younger weigh a lot more than her. Her personality says pullet too. Guess we’ll keep our fingers crossed a bit longer.

From all that I’ve read on here she is all pullet except for the darkening of her comb. Its hard to tell in photos due to the colouring, but her hackle feathers are round at the moment. She is quite light, some of my cockerels who are a month younger weigh a lot more than her. Her personality says pullet too. Guess we’ll keep our fingers crossed a bit longer.
Yup, she looks girl other than the comb. But some girls get them faster and brighter than others.

Back
Top Bottom