Fire in my coop! Plus a toe-less hen!

Autumn-A

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 27, 2013
Bradford, PA
Yesterday the heat lamps electrical cord in my coop got knocked off the hook that was suspending the lamp and burnt a hole straight through the floor! There wasn't an actual fire but if I hadn't discovered it at that time there may have been. All of my poor hens were coughing and wheezing from the smoke, their eyes shut and drinking a lot of water. I'm worried that breathing the smoke will hurt my hens later rather than sooner. Only a few were wheezing this morning but the majority still had their eyes shut. What should I do to help them heal?
The day prior, one the the hens' toe nail got ripped off and it was bleeding non-stop. I took her inside, cleaned it and put Kwik-stop powder on it which helped a little, then I put her back in the coop. She stayed kind of puffed up and near the heat light, then the light fell and burnt the coop. Afterwards she stood in the corner, still puffed up and eyes shut tight. Her tail was droopy and she was very pale, her toe was also still bleeding from the other hens picking at it. Again I took her inside, washed and dried her toe, put Kwik-Stop and Blue-Kote on it and then housed her in a cat carrier by the wood stove with feed and water. Her crop was full and she devoured the warmed rice I gave her. This morning she looked a bit better and I put a teensy bit of Probiotic paste in a piece of bread and she ate that before trying to eat my hand! Her skin and feathers look healthy, is it possible that she just needed a rest?
I would very much appreciate advice on what to do to help heal my smoked chickens and my toenail-less hen!

(I did put a steel plate over the hole in the floor!)

Gosh how awful ! Im glad it didnt get worst. I dont know how to treat them for smoke inhalent. I am guessing fresh air and water !. Hope they recovered soon. as for the toenail, your doing the right thing. maybe if you can put bandaid on ? or wait until it stopped bleeding.

Her the has finally stopped bleeding and she has perked up enormously! She is enjoying her vacation very much! Maybe a little too much....
I think that I am going to keep her inside until this evening to see if she lays an eggs and then put her back into the coop.

Her the has finally stopped bleeding and she has perked up enormously! She is enjoying her vacation very much! Maybe a little too much....
I think that I am going to keep her inside until this evening to see if she lays an eggs and then put her back into the coop.
Im glad she is doing better, what about the other chickens? were they be able to breathe again?

They seem alright, today the weather was warm enough to let them outside. They ran around and pecked things as usual!
The very first year that I had chickens one of the hens' toe nails broke off and we put tree tar on it. But then our flock was small and the chickens weren't rabidly cannibalistic....

I'm so glad they're ok! The same thing a happened to my heat lamp yesterday, it just fell from the spot I had it in. There was no one home, and th 250 w bulb was on for a few hours, but I have no idea when it fell. I was so shocked it fell, and even more grateful that there was no fire! Prob because of all the moisture from the flood and rain.

So glad your flock is dong better!

Darned you guys using heat lamps that are not properly wired to a proper electrical receptical! Lamps hanging from extention cords just dont get it and for very good reason. Wire it up right! You got lucky this time. On the other hand, I am so sorry to hear your fears of smoke damage causing possible problems for the chickens. Hopefully some fresh air and airing out the coop will help. You could take an old windex bottle rinsed out well and spritz their head and eyes with warm water. They dont have the same kind of tear duct system as humans and their eyes are much drier. This will help to get the burning smoke residue off their skin and feathers on the head area. Just wipe them with a damp wash rag or towel afterwards. They might not be happy but thankful afterwards. Keep the toenail less bird in the cage for a while longer if you possibly can. The other birds will possibly attack her by natural instinctiveness. Good luck and give us some feedback on how they are doing!

Darned you guys using heat lamps that are not properly wired to a proper electrical receptical! Lamps hanging from extention cords just dont get it and for very good reason. Wire it up right! You got lucky this time. On the other hand, I am so sorry to hear your fears of smoke damage causing possible problems for the chickens. Hopefully some fresh air and airing out the coop will help. You could take an old windex bottle rinsed out well and spritz their head and eyes with warm water. They dont have the same kind of tear duct system as humans and their eyes are much drier. This will help to get the burning smoke residue off their skin and feathers on the head area. Just wipe them with a damp wash rag or towel afterwards. They might not be happy but thankful afterwards. Keep the toenail less bird in the cage for a while longer if you possibly can. The other birds will possibly attack her by natural instinctiveness. Good luck and give us some feedback on how they are doing!

Thank you mother hen, we have learned our lesson the hard way! I wish I would have known to spritz them with water sooner, it would have eased their discomfort. After I read your post I went to the coop and watched the chickens, they all seemed happy and didn't bother "No-Toe" hen. I will keep an eye on them!

Back
Top Bottom