First Arial assualt on my chickens =(

MMPoultryFarms

Songster
9 Years
Jun 21, 2010
Okarche Oklahoma
I was just dozing off last night when all the birds in the trees started making loud sounds I have tons of trees around my house so theres alot of birds who nest here doves, scissor tail fly catchers, sparrows, mocking birds, ect, they all were in an uproar then I heard my chickens start flipping out there 5 week old cornish crosses. I looked outside my window which is where I have them for easy observance. And there was this giant Bird out there I assume it was an owl But It was dark and this thing almost picked up the cage It didn't manage to break threw my design But it did manage to get a talon inside that split one of my birds from its neck clear to its leg one big gapping wound. I had nothing to cull it with So i had to rip its head off as fast as I possibly could So it didnt have to suffer.
Guess this means out with the chicken wire and in with the hardware cloth. Sigh no sleep for me today. I know its illegal to kill owls So I guess Its time to put the Kitty cat In the Barn where I saw a few Of them housing and let nature take its course. I will Chicken wire the Only exit off while there in it and let the rest be history.
somad.gif
bobcat2.jpg

ohh ya I forgot to mention.....we recently noticed owls around our house. The five years I've been here I have seen 2. Now I have seen them every day since january. There is also an increase in hawks and Eagles in my area. Sort of weird. Anyhow I guess I will have to secure the top of my coop a bit more than. I am sorry for your loss, you did the best you could for that poor little thing!!! Lets hope your Owl problems dissapears soon!!

Yup shes a year old her names Precious and she isnt fond of owls (or maybe she is Snickers
lau.gif
) none the less shes going to the barn just as soon as I trap the 2 That live there in Theres Only one window that they can fly in and out of. The law state I cannot harm an Owl or a Hawk But But Precious can. (Insert Devil horns here)

Dang, that is some Kitty. I don't suppose she will have any problem with birds of any sort. Have you had her since she was tiny? She is gorgeous, but I'm not sure I'm enough of an alpha to handle HER.

Quote:

Beautiful Kitty ~ Hopefully she will not also become an owl victim too.

I have a friend who several years ago almost lost her barn cat "Patches" to a large owl as witnessed by her DH. The owl flew up behind her as she was sitting by the barn and sliced the kitty's abdomen wide open. Being major animal lovers they rushed Patches to the Emergency Vet and spent $$ to save her. Patches was a dropped off kitty who had refused to come in her house prior to this incident and now is queen of the house ~ refusing to go outside again.

Last edited:
Quote:
Amen.. Precious is by no means a tame cat she is very much wild. She tolerates me I assume because she knows I saved her. we have had our disagreements but she is exeptionally Good at clearing out the barn of owls. I don't know if she ever even catches them as I have never took the step to Block off the window. I didnt even think about her well being at the moment I posted this Perhaps I should just flush them out again. I saw what one talon could do threw a chicken wire fence I can imagine what all of them could Do. maybe the whole locking her in with them is a bad idea. thanks everyone.

Back
Top Bottom