1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First Bumblefoot Surgery Last Night...Pics

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by The Sheriff, Oct 21, 2011.

1. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
  2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Excellent job removing the infection and excellent pics!

3. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Great job [​IMG]

4. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Excellent job! [​IMG]

5. curious1969

curious1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Northwest Montana
    Thank you for posting this link [​IMG] Very nice to have pictures.

6. Emily's Eggery

Emily's Eggery New Egg

Jul 5, 2011
    great pictures! Very interested in a chicken first aid kit. Definately sounds useful!

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You did a fabulous job, Mary! Been there so many times, I don't even want to remember. My big red girl, Meg, has chronic bumblefoot, probably due to a combination of her oddly shaped huge feet and her dense body weight. Always have to work on her, probably 4-5 times a year.

8. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Quote:Thanks everybody! [​IMG]

Cyn, I hope this doesn't become chronic with this girl. While Kelly and I were looking at her this afternoon, we saw a couple of odd spots on her other foot. I'll poke around a little tomorrow but for today she's had enough. I still can't believe how much stuff I got out of there. Reminded me of the worst infection I saw while working as a nurse. I think I got more stuff outta' that guy than he weighed when I was done. [​IMG]

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I'm calling you when I get a hen with bumblefoot!!!!!

10. lovin my birds

lovin my birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    Great job! I have a hen that i believe is has bumblefoot and have been researching how to do the surgery. She is my oldest girl and acctually my original. She is 11 and a half. I feel so bad for her. I would love to know what all you had on hand for your surgery. I have a list from other places but I wanted your opinion to and anyone elses opinion. This helped greatly especially the pictures. Again ANY info would be appreciated this will be my first time so I am a little nervous about doing something wrong. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by