First Egg Stories?

So far three of my girls have laid their fist eggs today! We have had a very exciting day! And from the looks of it, one of the girls must have had a hard time! I tried to upload a pic but no luck... the Egg in question appears to be two eggs fused together, its abnormally long. Has anyone else had experienced with odd eggs on the first lay? Is this something I should be concerned about? These girls hatched the first of March.
They just look like double yolk eggs. It's typical when they're working out the timing of laying and things. Sometimes mine will have double yolks when they've not laid right away, like not getting their favorite nest box or something. Not something to worry about, typically.

I have 3 hens and a rooster. All are about 19 weeks old now. Bossy laid the first eggs. I found an egg on the ground under the tractor. Bossy was hovering over it as if to protect it from me. My wife posted the egg announcement on FB and I started looking for eggs in the nesting buckets. The next day, I looked into the nests and saw 7 more eggs. Bossy had been getting to work and I didn't even notice, even when I cleaned out the tractor. She has consistently laid about 6 eggs/week for the last 2 1/2 weeks.

A few days later, Agatha began laying green eggs. I was told that she was an Ameraucana, but apparently she is an Easter Egger. She has been laying about 6 eggs/week for the last 10 days or so.

Rosie is a Rhode Island Red and is bringing up the rear. Agatha left me an egg around lunchtime yesterday and Bossy left me an egg first thing this morning. Last night, when I was tucking the birds in for the night, I noticed an egg in a "poop tray" below their favorite roost. I grabbed it and there was no shell. Since I got an egg from both of the other chickens a few hours before and after finding the egg, I suspect this was Rosie's first attempt. Do chickens "misfire" on their first eggs sometimes? All birds have been eating feed supplemented with oyster shell. I think I will start crushing the egg shells and putting them in with their food as well.
Oh, it's totally normal to get all kinds of weird stuff with that first egg or so. Their systems can just take some practice runs to get up and running correctly.

Oh my goodness, even though it's been yrs. I'll never forget going to check the nest boxes, once again, after having checked them for the past month..or longer. Thinking..those girls are getting red in the wattles, and the comb..come on already. Then it happened. I almost yelled out to my husband indoors..wait..I did yell out..lol...I didn't yell yell, but I was saying all the way into the house, I got an egg! I got an egg! Well, I didn't eat that egg right away. I had to get a photo of it don't ya know!
thumbnail_The chicken pictures!! 004.jpg

I was reluctant to cook that first egg. I wasn't done admiring it, I guess. I waited about 2 weeks for 2 others to start laying before I decided I had enough for breakfast. Of course, we have a family of 6.

Congratulations on getting this thread featured!

I second! I've had so much fun reading about everyone's first experience. The stories are as varied as all of us, yet the wonder of that first egg remains true throughout. Be it simple tale, a spiritual connection or not I think it's as exciting as Christmas.

Thank you all for your posts and photos.

PS. Still waiting, lol

Got a 2nd egg this morning, it's even smaller. Unsure if it was the same bird, but probably was.

View attachment 1090650

From what I've been reading it looks like from a different hen. Is it possible? Please share with me why do you think it's from same?

One of mine should be white the other brown, so if this hold true it should be easy for me. I only have the two.

From what I've been reading it looks like from a different hen. Is it possible? Please share with me why do you think it's from same?

One of mine should be white the other brown, so if this hold true it should be easy for me. I only have the two.

All five of mine are Barred Rocks, so I can't be sure. She's the only one that I've seen spend more than a few seconds in the nest boxes, so I'm just guessing it was her again. Watched her lay yesterday's 1st egg, so I know that was hers.

Too bad there are no speckles. I read the pattern per egg is like a fingerprint. Remains the same for all her eggs. I cant read fingerprints any better than tea leaves, so I can't imagine I personally would do any better at recognizing the different eggs. Ha ha

Back
Top Bottom