First Egg!

Amiga

Overrun with Runners
12 Years
Jan 3, 2010
Southern New England
It feels like another watershed moment - at just over sixteen weeks of age, someone (of the eleven) gave us an egg this morning.
wee.gif

46527_first_egg_20100617.jpg

45 grams, about the size of a medium chicken egg.
yippiechickie.gif

I was surprised by my own excitement! Glad I started once-a-week free choice oyster shell, just in case.
big_smile.png

wee.gif
I am so excited for you!!! I was wondering if you would get one before me! LOL. Mine should be starting any time now. That is so cool!!!!
ya.gif

thanks, chickboss!
smile.png

Everyone seemed their usual this morning, happy to greet the day, as they came out of their house. They have all been expressing breeding behavior for weeks, which is why I started adding a handful of cat kibble daily with free choice oyster shell once a week, oh, a few weeks ago. It seemed early according to the book, but I decided to go with my gut and their behavior and signs (the milky white discharge from the vent being one).

Also, a few days ago someone made the neatest little circular depression in the corner of their house. Looked like a nest to me! I tried to recreate it after I fluffed the bedding, but I think I ruined it for them. And then today, in the center of the house, sat one little egg after they had gone out to their day yard.

Now I plan to have free choice oyster shell out for them daily. Some gobble it up, some take a nibble and walk away. It may reflect their level of physical maturity. Some are definitely a week or two ahead, and little Elfie is about two to three weeks behind everyone else. She just finished molting.

I have all the same signs that you have! I'll put some oyster shell out there tonight, and I have been supplementing extra protien as well! Again, that is so cool!!!
celebrate.gif

Amiga, will they breed this summer yet... mine calls are 13 wks and the boys are getting all puffy headed (lol)
and doing some funny moves, but I thought they wouldnt actually breed until next spring.. so I should prbly
be putting out oyster shells for my girls soon...?
hu.gif

Oh man, Amiga was only 2 weeks ahead of me with hers... I better start keeping an eye out and providing some free feed oyster shell too.

I've also been allowing them to stay parked in their pond at night, so that will have to stop (it already reeks after <2 weeks of them overnighting in it) because I really don't want any floaters (or sinkers!).

Amiga - have you noticed if their rear ends are protruding at all like they are holding developing eggs at this point? Getting more eggs?

Hattiegun, sorry I lost track for a few days . . .

Looks like we have no boys in the flock. But the girls have been actively displaying breeding behaviors - treading, flattening out, the usual stuff. As I mentioned, there has been some milky discharge from their vents. Holderread's advice was to start with the extra calcium a month before laying. If yours, a small breed, are thirteen weeks, I would start giving them extra calcium, at least once a week, now.

WadeMD, I have noticed no constant protrusion of a vent. But Vier especially seems to have filled out in the lower belly. I think she may be the one laying (we now have three eggs in five days).

A friend sent two large cheese boxes, which I stuffed with straw. Most of the ducks were extremely interested in straw and boxes. Someone slept in them last night. The egg this morning was next to a box.

Today they seem ravenous for protein. I gave them a pile of worms, and some cat kibble in their pellets. They went wild for both. I need to get some more oyster shell out here, too. I haven't found a good container for it that they won't turn over. I think I need to get another big cake pan. That seems to be the only thing handy that they don't flip with their feet.

My Kahkis are the same age as Amiga's Runners and they have been actually breeding for a few weeks now. Silly boys, I love their stud muffin moves, LOL, cracks me up. I like those rubber tubs/bowls that they sell at feed stores for extras like Oyster Shell, and cat kibble. They haven't dumped them yet and they are nice and sturdy.

AACK!! I noticed a little depression in their bedding today and thought, are they practicing? No, can't be. The runners are only 10 weeks old (I think?) but my drake was pulling at the back of the neck of one of them.

I thought I just got the feed system down (75% Purina Start and Grow and 25% rolled oats) and now I have to learn something else? cat kibble, oyster shell... AAAACK!
smile.png

Congrats on your egg, I think it's fun that you were excited!

Back
Top Bottom