First egg!!!

Quote:
We got our 3rd and 4th today!!! So far: EE laid her first on Tuesday, none on Wednesday, second on Thursday, and third today! Not sure who laid the 4th egg, but I think it was my BO (although it might have been my GLW or BR)....

Hopefully you get a couple tomorrow and a couple on Sunday?!?

Well I made it to my first dozen!!!

My friend, that has the other half of the order of 25, got his first egg on Sunday, 2 days after mine. He was out of town M-W, and found 5 in the nest box. Today, he found 5 more. Its gotta be the weather... so many people getting first eggs so close together, even though most of the birds are different ages.

Congrats to everyone's first eggs!!

Quote:
Did you eat any yet or do you still have 12? If you ave 12, please take and post a picture of them! Congrats on reaching the magical dozen! I am 33% there...

Just caught my BR in the act....I was in the backyard with the girls, looked down and saw that one was missing (only counted 6). Brief moment of panic, then I went to the coop to peak in the nesting boxes. Sure enough, my BR was in the nesting box. Stayed in there for about 30 minutes before she came out, and I decided to look. She laid her second egg (our fifth total). She didn't really make any noise though, which surprised me a bit. So I have my BR at 2 eggs and my EE at 3. Still waiting for the other five to lay their first. Come on girls!!!

I know the feeling. Today was the first time that I heard the "egg song," after watching one hanging around the coop while I passed out treats to the others. I went to check the coop, and opened a window to get a little light and air in there, and she took off, straight for the nest box. Half hour later she was singing her song, joined in by MR. Vic. That was 2 more today, until I went to lock the girls up for the night. As it was getting dark, there was another of the girls sitting in the nest box. Well, maybe 3 after all.

We ate the first 8 eggs with grits and toast... yummy. Here is a pic of the little eggs.

73816_first_7_with_a_store_bought.jpg

This is my adult rooster, dominant, proud, and my vicar in the coop... Mr. Vic
73816_vic_in_the_new_run.jpg

This used to be Little Roo, but he ain't quite so little now. He's just Roo, and at 5.5 months, likes to pretend he's bigger than he really is. Maybe not show quality, but I think, under Mr. Vic's tutelage and my keeping him in line, he's gonna make a fine flock leader.
73816_roo_at_attention.jpg

This is Vic's babydoll, roosting partner, dominant hen, and owner of most favored hen status.
73816_lady_struttin.jpg

Here is the rest of the little ladies.
73816_5_mo_little_ladies.jpg

I'm still only getting one egg a day but at 950am went out to give treats and found a different bird in the box, couldn't check for eggs. That bird sure did not like my watching. This may be her first egg, I will check in about an hour. Maybe a blue since it is my only other easter egger. 4er555555555555555555555555555555555. Anyone else have a kitten who loves the computer? 12 weeks old and he spends more time pressing keys than me.

I got 3 more this morning... they're getting better. Of course, its not even lunch. I have a bunch of chicken chickens. Not one has even ventured out as of yet. 6" of fresh powder on the ground, and still snowing.
roll.png

This might be the 3rd time that I have ever seen powdered snow in SC, let alone 6" of the stuff. Go figure, still expecting 1/2" of ice this evening.

73816_chickens_snowed_in.jpg

73816_chicken_chickens.jpg

You can see how much they enjoy the snow.
73816_chicken_snow_day.jpg

Snowing here in Charlotte too. My GLW, who never lets me touch her, actually flew out of the coop (when I opened it) and landed in the snow...thud....it was like she was in quick sand...I walked over and picked her up and put her back in the coop. First time in months that I have been able to pick her up!

Had one egg this morning from my BR (her third), and my EE is in the nesting box right now laying her 5th - she missed all of the snow fun! Oh well....will go back out shortly to grab her egg before it freezes.

So I am up to 8 eggs total now, with only 2 of 7 laying....

Back
Top Bottom