First Hatch - Now with Chick Pics!!

chknfrmr

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 24, 2010
Day 18 is here! My grandkids and I put the eggs in lockdown this evening. I candled the eggs while we were doing this. Looks like we have 31 of 37 still viable. The darker brown and green eggs are hard to see for sure. I guess we'll know more by Monday!! I hope we can get get a good hatch as the grandkids are really excited. I'm a little stoked myself. LOL

Lamar

Last edited:
Quote:
I just had my first Hatch a few days ago. It's exciting. All I can say is BE PATIENT. It's the hardest thing to do but it's better for the chicks. Good Luck and keep us informed.

While sitting here this evening reading the BYC forums, I heard a "PEEP". The incubator is in the computer room so I walked over to the incubator and didn't see anything at first glance. I then heard another "PEEP", so looked closer. Two eggs have very small pips in them. One is at the extreem of what can bee seen through the window and the other is a piece cracked loose but still attached. Look closely at the two circled areas. The one on the left has a piece of the shell lying down against the green egg and the one on the right is the chip that is still attached.

68446_pip02.jpg

This is pretty exciting. I may not get any rest tonight as I have heard peeping several more times while writing this.

Lamar

Yippee!! 12:15 AM and two more have pipped. I'm going to bed now, I'll follow up in the morning.

Lamar

This morning there are 13 PIPS. Off to church now, we'll see what we have when we get back. My grandkids are ecstatic.

The humidity is at 70 percent should I be concerned? Do I need to try to add more water? The hova-bator has water in all reservoirs. I can use a straw to add hot water if I need to. What do ya'll think? I don't want to mess things up now.

Lamar

Last edited:
Well I'm back home now. I have two chicks that have hatched and are out and moving about. One has what I guess is an umbelical still attached to a portion of the egg. Do I need to open the incubator and intervene with tying this off or let it dry out on its on? Too many, pips to keep up with and several in the process of zipping. I'll follow up with pictures in a bit.

Lamar

Here are a couple of pictures of the two that have hatched. As you can see, one is still attached to piece of egg. What should I do? Intervene or let it take care of its self?

68446_htch02.jpg

Lamar

Back
Top Bottom