First hatch of the year.

Amazing!!! 4 days! wow!!!

Yes, two chicks were 4 days late. And they were EE's which I really wanted to hatch. Now I hope they are pullets. Or better yet, one pullet and one rooster. See where going? :)

Got a chick with a possible exposed navel. Waiting on it to dry out so I can check properly. Had to assist said chick since the idiot had its leg sticking out of where it had pipped. I tried pushing the leg back in but he kept sticking it back out again, so I eventually created a zip. Hatched out fine - everything was absorbed, just worried about the navel.

First one hatched, second on the way!

A bunch of gunk was leaking from its shell when it broke the inner membrane. This is the malpositioned chick I was talking about earlier. Since I couldn't see the membrane, I opened the air cell. After a day and half, the chick broke it with its leg and the excess blood and yolk bled out for the yucky brown stuff. (It had pipped on the wrong end in the beginning, another blood vessel was pecked at by its hatchmates.)

At the time of the picture, the yolk sac was still visible...but its survived for this long! So I am holding out hope for this little guy/gal!
fl.gif

A bunch of gunk was leaking from its shell when it broke the inner membrane. This is the malpositioned chick I was talking about earlier. Since I couldn't see the membrane, I opened the air cell. After a day and half, the chick broke it with its leg and the excess blood and yolk bled out for the yucky brown stuff. (It had pipped on the wrong end in the beginning, another blood vessel was pecked at by its hatchmates.)

At the time of the picture, the yolk sac was still visible...but its survived for this long! So I am holding out hope for this little guy/gal!
fl.gif
My limited experience recommendation would be to go ahead and remove the rest of the shell from the chick so that the membrane doesn't dry onto its furr. But to be careful to not pull the cord or remaining yolk. You could send this picture and explanation to Sally Sunshine and ask her opinion. She is fairly experienced in this area. But I think due to position and the rupture that this chicky is going to have a hard time getting out on their own.

Back
Top Bottom