First hatch - varied Breeds!

PDXJULES

Crowing
Apr 18, 2020
Portland, Oregon USA - 97217
Received 18 eggs from Foxfire Farms in Northern Idaho today! Here is my Incubator - with fan and auto Turner, and which holds 16 eggs. Pic of Incubator and 2 unboxing Vids may not be visible yet. Settings may be a challenge...as i lost the book! PO and F settings have a series of choices...and hopefully preset for Chickens at the default. It heated up nicely at unboxing. I'll try to sanitize rollers and what i can and get er going while eggs are resting. I look forward to your input on Breeds and Gender at Hatch. Excited to get more than i ordered and a crazy assortment will result!

Attachments

• 20210105_145021.jpg
    20210105_145021.jpg
    353.7 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
I ordered from them before. Cream legbar hatching eggs. I’ve been happy with them. Have fun hatching 🐣
Yay, i have several Eggs in there as CL Purebred, and some intentional Crosses - RiR daddy for Olive Egger is one. Will be a varied hatch - at least 10 distinct breeds/and intentional crosses. Most assortments only bring 3-5. Crossing fingers now as i go fire up the 'bator!

Yay, i have several Eggs in there as CL Purebred, and some intentional Crosses - RiR daddy for Olive Egger is one. Will be a varied hatch - at least 10 distinct breeds/and intentional crosses. Most assortments only bring 3-5. Crossing fingers now as i go fire up the 'bator!
I may need to share the hatch if more than half make it - and might be in a situation to set someone up with a Purebred Breeding pair - or group - in a few weeks...if in the Portland area/SW WA.

In the pic below the Pink one has nail polish covering cracks - an accident at home - not the Breeder. All 12 i ordered and their generous eggstras arrived chilly but unharmed. They rested over 23 hrs before going into the 'bator. I candled and saw a lot of floating yolk shadows, but not much as to visible air pockets yet, sp i appreciate the tip sheet included suggesting no turning for 3 days. Wish them luck!

Attachments

• 20210115_201732.jpg
    20210115_201732.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 20210115_201613.jpg
    20210115_201613.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Received 18 eggs from Foxfire Farms in Northern Idaho today! Here is my Incubator - with fan and auto Turner, and which holds 16 eggs. Pic of Incubator and 2 unboxing Vids may not be visible yet. Settings may be a challenge...as i lost the book! PO and F settings have a series of choices...and hopefully preset for Chickens at the default. It heated up nicely at unboxing. I'll try to sanitize rollers and what i can and get er going while eggs are resting. I look forward to your input on Breeds and Gender at Hatch. Excited to get more than i ordered and a crazy assortment will result!
Here are 2 of the cheap hygrometers i am using. There is a variance of 1 degree H and F but i think within a safe range. They report a lower temp than im looking for, but the machine display panel and an oral thermometer stuck in a vent hole show recommended temps. The machine shows Centigrade, which makes me feel stupid...but i think the eggs are Ok for the first 3 days, and ill try to learn more about the display settings.

Attachments

• 20210114_104355.jpg
    20210114_104355.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 18
I ordered from them before. Cream legbar hatching eggs. I’ve been happy with them. Have fun hatching 🐣
I tried to work slow and careful, but cracked one of the CL eggs in a one handed cover fumble. As a science experiment, I tried to seal the full area to see if the chick can develop...miracle if it does since transpiration may be affected for both humidity and oxygen transfer, and i doubt the rolling turner is a good option on the 3rd day, so Im making a mini 'bator from styro and a lamp. if the iffy embryos develop, this one will need an assist - to get the plastic coated shell off the air sac. I hope pipping can happen! The 2nd grader who lives with us is interested in being a Vet, so I am talking to her about the process, science, and theories for helping. She helped with baby chicks last spring and did great as a pooper-scoop assistant. The big girls love her occasional Henhouse and Run visits. Her Grampa is building a secure Chicken yard fence - so we'll have more space for fun, and for new Chicks!

Back
Top Bottom