First hawk attack

Pics

LizGio

Songster
May 18, 2022
Southeastern Pennsylvania
Okay, I'm panicking a little bit. I know I've read a bunch of these articles of chickens getting attacked by hawks. They end up being okay so I have my fingers crossed. Please forgive my spelling / grammar / everything. I'm a little frazzled. My GLW pullet hatched sometime in July so she's about 3 mo. She was free ranging today with her pals when a hawk snagged her. I was not present. My neighbor's teen came out when he heard our rooster sounding the alarm and found the hawk standing on her. He chased the hawk away and teen's mom scooped my girl up and stuck her in her sweater until I got home. She was breathing sleeping and moving her legs a little bit. She opens her eyes off and on but mostly just sleeping. I looked her over and found a couple wounds but I don't feel like I was thorough. I felt like I just needed to wrap her up and hold her. I snuggle her for a few hours. She is not actively bleeding. The wounds we could find I sprayed with vetericyn. I stuck her in a medium sized cat carrier with a waterer containing electrolyte solution. I didn't stick any food in there because right now I don't have a lot of space. Tomorrow I can set up the brooder box and have enough room for food and water and her to move around if she wants. What else should I be doing?. I feel like I should know these answers but my brain is not working under pressure.
PXL_20221014_223532766.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

@azygous @Wyorp Rock

Edit:
The cat carrier is in a dark quiet warm place.

Her sister is still missing I haven't seen her since before the hawk attack. I'm hoping she's just hiding in fear and perched somewhere for the night. But something tells me she's not coming back.

Last edited:
I'd slowly work on getting drops of slightly warmed sugar water or electrolytes into her.
Hopefully she will be able to swallow a bit.

Is she able to respond to you at all?
Do look through her feathers, around her neck, across the back, etc. look for any punctures or tears.

I'm glad your neighbor was able to help out.
Not to be too graphic, but Hawks often dive and drive their prey to the ground, just the impact can be devastating, hopefully she's not suffered serious internal injuries. Time will tell. Give her time, keep her warm and hydrated, treat the wounds. That's about all you can do at this point.

I've lost a few to Hawks and had some escape, there's always risk.

Hang in there :hugs

I'm so sorry Liz! I hope she'll be ok. You have wonderful neighbors!
I really do! I didn't ask for permission to post her picture so out of respect I blurred out her face. She literally had the chicken in her sweater until I got home. 🙏❤️
output_image1665781053574~2.jpg

Keep her wounds covered in antibiotic ointment. I find the name brand works better because it melts into the wounds. Be patient and continue to treat her wounds. I assume you have cleaned the wounds with normal saline or mild soap and water to help avoid infection. This is important, as is keeping antibiotic ointment on the wounds until healed.
If she does not eat for a couple of days, it is probably from being in shock, check her neck for wounds (they may be small puncture wounds) If she refuses to eat, we make an omelet with layer pellets in it. Our girls seem to enjoy that very much. Be. careful of how much treat food you feed her. Good luck to you and your girl, my. thoughts and prayers are with you both. Do please keep us posted and please feel free to ask questions. We all learn things when questions are asked. :hugs
Thank you.

Update I posted on my Facebook account:
PXL_20221015_100922771.NIGHT.jpg

The baby girl made it through the night. Repositioned herself to do a big poo and went back to sleep. Later this morning I will try to stand her up and dip her beak in an electrolyte/sugar solution. If she shows no interest, I will be syringe dropping water into her.
After she gets fluids a warm crumble mash and a side of scrambled eggs and watermelon to help motivate her. Did you know the esophagus is on the right of a chicken's mouth? Putting fluids to the center or left can cause the bird to aspirate the liquids.

I understand how you're feeling. I had a scare this week and thought I had lost a favorite hen to a fox, grieved for a couple hours and discovered her in the run. She had sneaked back in when my back was turned.

You're doing the right stuff. Treat for shock for the first 24 hours, longer if she seemed out of it. Add extra sugar. Make sure it actually gets into her. Then treat the wounds. But it's the shock that is most dangerous for her.

Your other hen will turn up. She's just hiding.

Where are all her wounds?

I would not put her in water at all, she's too weak and shocky.

For any facial tissue, I prefer using Saline, Vetericyn or Banixx - something that can be used around and in the eyes.
Saline for cleansing wounds can be made at home with 2tsp salt to 1quart of water. To make it sterile, simmer on the stove for 15minutes.

Triple antibiotic ointment to the wounds, this can be put on the face and in the eye if necessary. Just warm it a bit between your fingers to make it easier to apply to delicate facial tissue.

If she has other wounds on her body, then trim the feathers away from the wounds so you can see them better and it's less messy.

Your Neighbor is a sweetheart!

Keep her wounds covered in antibiotic ointment. I find the name brand works better because it melts into the wounds. Be patient and continue to treat her wounds. I assume you have cleaned the wounds with normal saline or mild soap and water to help avoid infection. This is important, as is keeping antibiotic ointment on the wounds until healed.
If she does not eat for a couple of days, it is probably from being in shock, check her neck for wounds (they may be small puncture wounds) If she refuses to eat, we make an omelet with layer pellets in it. Our girls seem to enjoy that very much. Be. careful of how much treat food you feed her. Good luck to you and your girl, my. thoughts and prayers are with you both. Do please keep us posted and please feel free to ask questions. We all learn things when questions are asked. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom