First Negative Day with my Flock.

If there are any homeless people or those who are down on their luck in your area then why not give them your excess birds.
I'm sure they will appreciate your generosity.

If there are any homeless people or those who are down on their luck in your area then why not give them your excess birds.
I'm sure they will appreciate your generosity.

I am in the country, posted three ads in the nearest town - local Canadian Tire (home and automotive), the feed and grocery stores. Up for more than a week, no calls.

Good suggestion I wish someone had called.

I am in the country, posted three ads in the nearest town - local Canadian Tire (home and automotive), the feed and grocery stores. Up for more than a week, no calls.

Good suggestion I wish someone had called.
I have no idea how hard it is to travel in 4ft of snow but if it's possible, load up the car and seek out those in need.

I have no idea how hard it is to travel in 4ft of snow but if it's possible, load up the car and seek out those in need.

Douglas, you obviously have experiences that cause you to encourage this course and I respect you for making the suggestion.

At the moment Canada is moving toward a lock down because of the novo corona virus. In the province where I live the Premier has asked all persons over 70 (me) to remain at home until further notice; all public venues are closed and "social distancing" is the proscribed behaviour. The federal government has advised all Canadians abroad to return home even if it means changing current plans; shortly borders will be closed to travelers from certain locations; returning flights are being funneled to a small number of selected airports where people are screened, those that show signs are being taken to designated locations where they will stay for 14 days, those that do not show signs are being advised to "self quarantine" for 14 days.

Yes I said I live in Canada NOT China.

Last edited:
Douglas, you obviously have experiences that causes you to encourage this course and I respect you for making the suggestion.

At the moment Canada is moving toward a lock down because of the novo corona virus. In the province where I live the Premier has asked all persons over 70 (me) to remain at home until further notice; all public venues are closed and "social distancing" is the proscribed behaviour. The federal government has advised all Canadians abroad to return home even if it means changing current plans; shortly borders will be closed to travelers from certain locations; returning flights are being funneled to a small number of selected airports where people are screened, those that show signs are being taken to designated locations where they will stay for 14 days, those that do not show signs are being advised to "self quarantine" for 14 days.

Yes I said I live in Canada NOT China.
It's the same here. We have decided to self quarantine as husband has COPD, & takes breathing treatments at home daily. I am quite healthy, but over 70 as well. We aren't going to church (many churches have decided to go "online only" for the next few weeks), schools are closed, paper products are hard to come by as well. This is no fun, but I feel pretty safe up here in the mountains, 25 miles from town. Our nearest neighbor is 20 acres from us too. I sell eggs and am open for business, but it's very slow right now. We have no snow, I refused to live where it snows, so husband and I compromised in a lower elevation! We hope for the best for you and me! My son and I have decided to have a bbq to feed the homeless that live by the river, but now is not the time for that. We will pursue that in late summer if this virus clears by then. :hmm

All of gods creatures need to eat .Hope you fed them to something .I let the buzzards have all my dead chickens. Culling cockreals is just part of having poultry .I use a dip net to catch with .Makes catching a easy task.

It was just before 10pm here. Tomorrow morning I will take a drive and find a location away from my property and others and leave them for any wild animals that want a meal (lots of those about). At the moment they are locked in the garage as I do not want to attract predators.

This morning there is an eerie calm and quiet in my coop. It seems to me that they know something has changed and are figuring it out. There is no swarming of the food dispensers.

Lestor (my remaining cockerel) is strutting about but not taking advantage; my sister who was here for the past six weeks watched all four of the cockerels carefully and described Lestor as the gentleman who encouraged the pullets into the nests, watched over them carefully and otherwise did what roosters are intended to do. He was also the biggest so we hope he will become the lookout and protector

I have taken the drive and placed the others where wildlife can benefit, expect that any sign will have disappeared by end of day.

Back
Top Bottom