First Problems... 4 Day Old Chick Favoring Leg

Alaeriel

Chirping
Jan 2, 2022
Just got our first chicks in the mail yesterday. One appeared a bit weak, so we gave her some yolk. An hour later, we gave her some more and she stood on her own to take it. Everything appeared to be going well this morning, she was walking with the other chicks, eating and drinking. This afternoon, I saw her limping and favoring her leg. Now she's looking weak again and I've given her a bit more yolk, which she greedily accepted. Her crop looks full. I really don't have the heart to cull her if there's any chance she'll live as these gals are all pet chickens, not producers. She'll be 4 days old today. Any and all advice is appreciated!
20220624_212315.jpg
20220624_212653.jpg
20220624_212310.jpg

Last edited:
Can you give some chick vitamins with riboflavin, 1/4 tablet of human B complex crushed into a spoonful of water or food, or 3 drops daily of Polyvisol without iron? She may have injured it in shipping, or have a vitamin deficiency.

1. What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Blue ameraucana; 4 days old: feels the same weight as the rest
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Favoring one leg, lethargic, feeding greedily
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Was weak yesterday, okay this morning, favoring the leg for 2 hours or ao
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
Does not appear to be
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Just arrived in the mail yesterday
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Dumor 20% chick starter; egg yolk
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Bubbly and runny; just pooped a minute ago
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Gave some egg yolks
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
I would prefer to do anything necessary to get her well. I have some medical tape if braces are needed
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
See above
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Pine shavings in a 50 gal bin with Producer's Pride brooder, controlled by Inkbird thermostat

Can you give some chick vitamins with riboflavin, 1/4 tablet of human B complex crushed into a spoonful of water or food, or 3 drops daily of Polyvisol without iron? She may have injured it in shipping, or have a vitamin deficiency.
I will have to get some first thing tomorrow morning if our local supply store has any in stock.

Okay, I'm a bit confused now. Last night, she was falling over on her good side and starting to fall asleep/pass out. This morning she's absolutely fine with a barely perceptible limp and the polish chick is just wilted and listless. I got her to drink a drop of egg and she'll lift her head for a few seconds before setting it back down. She peeped softly a couple of times and licked the cotton ball of water. She's got absolutely no injuries, her crown is intact and her vent is clean.
*spot on her wing is just a bit of food

Edit: the polish just died

Attachments

• 20220625_062303.jpg
    20220625_062303.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom