First Real Snow Event in Five Years for Central Missouri

Somehow I thought these two things don't go together<scratcheshead>
Maybe they hire it done...or have a very liberal bishop?

It does kind of seem odd, based on what we typically think of Amish.

Some of the Amish I’ve known in sw missouri could use modern things such as cars, refrigeration. Etc.. but the individual could not own it... those things were owned by the church/community.

The Amish in nw missouri that I’ve traded with were more traditional, and did not use modern things.

The Amish I know in my immediate area of south central Missouri seem not much different than anyone else... other than a few clues in their dress and grooming you’d not really pick up on the fact they are Amish.

And then there are Mennonites that are often referred to as “Amish” due to similar customs and they that have different ways still yet, which can confuse the matter also.

The Bobcat our neighbors use doesn't have pnuematic tires, it has treads, which I think is part of the exception to the rule. There is an Old Order Mennonite group in the county north of us. They are very conservative. They hold a yearly consignment auction which is fascinating to attend. We have seen they use horses on treadmills to generate power. Of course all the 'liberal' Amish attend the auction too, it's quite a get-together......

I once helped an Amish gent load by hand a horse drawn wagon with two pallets of chicken leg quarters he bought from the grocery store in July.

It was a 90 degree day and I was thinking what is he going to do with this when he gets to where he’s going.

So I asked and he explained that the community owned a walk in cooler that they’d store them in over night and by that time tomorrow they’d have all of that chicken canned and put up.

One modern thing he could have used that day was deodorant...:eek:

Free-range American Dominique cockerel and American Game pullet. Latter has not touched ground since sometime Friday.
View attachment 1641077
Penned American Game stag that come down to eat. Most have not so far today. Note is pen nearly collapsed due to weight of snow.
View attachment 1641078
Supposed to be 4 lines of hotwire. I see only two.
View attachment 1641080
Lucy working hard to run through snow. He favorite little bunny buddies now where to be seen.
View attachment 1641083
Lucy and I walking behind barn. I have to stop every little bit. Snow back there pushing 20" in places. When you walk, ground a good 6" below your feed. Snow pack very dense.
View attachment 1641086
Here is my "ol crap" moment. That 6' tall snow covered mound is my north bamboo patch. That is where the rabbits appear to be hiding.
View attachment 1641087
See the fence posts tipped over. I have about 50 yards of the stuff collapsed down on to the fence. Fence is really shorted out.
View attachment 1641090 View attachment 1641091
For some reason snow back here not deep. Not much over 6" near my feet. It is also much more compacted.
View attachment 1641095

Pretty stuff. This makes me sooo happy I only have a little over 1/2 acre. Fewer trails to clear to get to the coop. Good luck with all that. That storm is heading my way this weekend.

Snow start has been moved forward by almost a day. Temperature not to be as low as originally predicted, but will still be problematic starting Saturday night and go all day Sunday. Wind will still be an concern.

Tonight, after dealing with owl issue, I will start cutting lower branches from cedar trees to use as small covers and wind breaks. Another piece will be placed on snow so birds have a location other perch to stand on. Also will be getting hay busted up for birds to settle on.

Now things are getting nasty. Temperature has been above freezing for almost 36 hours. Snow is melting from top and below. Water is flowing everywhere between snow and ground. Frost heave has left ground very difficult to walk on. Roosters has been crowing a lot over night, because they feel spunky, or at least I do with the approaching weather system. Only about half the snow from last event melted and the water is still present. Once all this stuff starts to go, we will have some significant issues.

Tonight I will attempt to move some pens. That is something that my little mobile are good for. The problem is there is not really good ground. Even barn is getting to be a mess with the sustained high moisture and chickens not going outside to spread feces around better. Nasty.

Last edited:
I just carried fresh feed sacks to barn. Almost 200 yards. I am not as young as I used to be.

Numerous fox tracks inside fence area and even going through fence . Numerous and appear to indicate mostly running as if playing. Pens doing their part as layer that holds. Dogs not alerted as fast because chickens did not stir. Dogs still did chase something off around 0300.

Back
Top Bottom